[musictlk] guitar arsenal

Foggddm at aol.com Foggddm at aol.com
Wed Jul 3 21:46:23 UTC 2013

Cameron, I bought the 62 strat back in 1969 when at the time it wasn't
anything special than another strat. It has always been a superior instrument
and so I have kept it. I have been through countless guitars since starting to
play and I attempted to list them at one time and eventually gave up. But I
do have a core of instruments that I won't ever getrid of and those are the
guitars I record with and only play live sparingly.
My variax is a lake placid blue model 69. The only mods I have made I have
made from the guitar itself as the software isn't very friendly to use.
Fortunately for my needs those changes were minor. It is an ok playing
instrument. Fortunately I have had the benefit of excellent luthiers who can adjust
my guitars and give me tips to help keep them in optimum shape.
I don't use line 6 effects as I feel they are not friendly to the live
performance. For studio use they are fine but as I often have to make on the fly
changes the gear I have allows me to do that and I can manage my sound
according to the live setting.
Which model of the variax do you have?
I got the cobalt noiseless several years ago through american musical
supply. Not sure if they are still available. I have been looking at a set of the
jeff beck noisless hot pickups to put in a guitar but still a litttle
unsure of them. What I want desperately are a full set of Joe Barden's. They are
expensive but they are great pickups. I have a couple of friends who have
them (one works at a music store so he got a healthy discount on them) I would
probably put them in my midnight blue 2000 strat that has texas specials
and tbx now. I like the texas specials but they do have the single coil
drawback of catching line noise now and then.
Any way keep playing and enjoy what you are doing with the guitar.
dale