[musictlk] question about posture

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 18:50:57 UTC 2014

Hello,
For concerts, we pretty much stand the entire time which is for
about 2 hours with a 15 minute intermission.  Our director
instructs us not to stand with locked knees which I totally
understand.  However, because of my music stand, I feel like I'm
almost squatting down when I'm standing.  Therefore, it feels
very unnatural for me to stand the way our director has
instructed us to.  What do you think about this issue? Is it ok
to stand without bending the knees as long as they're not locked?
Or how can I make it more comfortable and natural to stand like
the director wants us to? This is the first choir where the
director has ever made a big deal about this.  Even my private
voice teachers haven't made a big deal about this posture
component.
Thank you,
Kelsey Nicolay