[MusicTlk] MusicAccessibility For: Bill and Mike

RicksPlace richardrthomas48 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 17:13:05 UTC 2020

'Hi Bill and Mike:
I have a few questions from you guys to get an idea of if this Lime product might be well  suted to what Mike needs.
But first,
Mike do you want to import music for modifications from other players or bands or is just for your own creations?
Do you use standard music or tablature I think this is for guitar if I remember correctly.

[StartOfMessage]
So Mike is looking at...
  1.  Have music scanned in, then OCR it to an application that will convert it to Music XML.
[Bill, I know of several products out there that will do this ranging from free to about $200, does Lime do it and what is the accuracy of the note or chord modifiers like slurs, bends and dynamics? in the Lime hardware and software - the best ones seem to have a 95 plus accuracy rating without editing if they can be believed]
[Bill, I am not sure if they, nor Lime, can be used correctly with guitar music and, or, guitar tablature so could you also let me know about this with Lime I didnt find anything online with a quick but reasonable google search]
  2.  Have an app that would do the following:
     *   read the Music XML file and render the music in graphical form (it displays the staff, clefs, notes, phrase markings, music symbols, etc ..) on a large monitor.
[Bill, I forget does the lime product read music xml as input and, if so, does it support the current version and legacy versions of music xml?]
[Mike, I think Lime will do this but again not sure about accuracy of the accent and other note adjectives like dynamics, slurs and bends for guitar]
     *   Allow zooming the music up and down, and would re-fit the music measures to the width and height of a monitor.
[Sounds like lime does this with foot peddles if  desired]
     *   Take input from Bluetooth page turning hardware so you could page through a multi-page piece of music by tapping with your feet.
[see above]
     *   Allow marking up the music with notations and associate them with the music and save the composition and markings back to MusicXML format so you could reload it when desired
[ I think Lime will do that but not sure about which versions of music xml it supports for which instruments]
     *   Save multiple songs, create a set of songs you want to perform.
[Bill,  I do not think Lime will do this, Bill let me know if incorrect]
     *   Load all songs in a set so you’re ready to perform the set.
[Bill, Again let me know if incorrect, I do not think Lime will do this]
  3.  The application would run on a small device such as a Raspberry PI.
[Lime runs on a dedicated laptop I believe and thus may be able to support a larger monitor and larger print - not sure via usb or something]
  4.  The PI would be connected to a large 26” portable monitor, and it would also be connected to the page turning device.
[see above]
  5.  The total getup would allow you to prepare your music at home, then take the monitor, page turn pedal, PI to where you’re going to perform.  This would be your “Music Stand”.  You can then arrive at the gig, set it up, load the music, and play.  And, the music would be large enough to comfortably see at the performance.
[Bill is this correct? Perhaps Lime could do this except I dont think you could load say your entire set for the evening and walk through them without reloading each individual piece into Lime - not sure at the event in real time on stage]
There is already a commercial product out there, but it’s expensive.  I think the system is in the thousands.  My idea would be to sell the software at a smaller fee, and tell the end user what hardware to go buy and how to set it up.
[Mike, is that that Lime product Bill is talking about?]
[Bill could you ballpark how much a system like Mike is talking about might set him back from DancingDots]
Also, I think the current commercial company will convert your music to MusicXML, but it’s expensive for them to do it.  My idea would be to find an app that does that.  You compose the music (maybe even in Finale or similar product) and then use the “Export to XML format” option.  With the music in XML format, you can then ingest it into the application.
[Mike: are you talking DancingDots -  note that there are software options to do this some more accurate than others and I am not sure if DancingDots would do manual editing of  translated scores or if the editing of inaccuracies would be up to you i am guessing not but Bill can let me know otherwise if I am incorrect]
[Mike, Also there are other programs, like MuseScore,  that allow  you to create music and they will export your creations as music xml, have you looked at any of them?]
EndOfMessage
Rick USA