[nabentre] Writer's Newsletters

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Tue Sep 13 18:35:00 UTC 2011

Writing for Dollars is quite good.  It includes a short article with tips
for writers and a list of several paying markets.  The publications are
grouped into "high", over $500); medium, (between $150 and $500); and low,
under $150.  Topics for these publications vary widely, from social issues
to food and travel publications.  I saw one for people in the construction
industry.

Another worthwhile resource book is a book I found on BARD called "The Well
Fed Writer."  It talks about how to become a freelance commercial writer.
The author's premise is that writers learn how to create copy for a wide
variety of commercial entities, from banks to dog groomers.  Coincidentally,
last week I met a man who regularly produces written information concerning
the bumpers they put in parking lots to keep cars from driving onto the
sidewalk or into buildings.  He says he writes something on the topic about
three times a week.  Either he's an extremely creative writer or there's
much more to the topic than I could ever have imagined.  One thing is
certain.  Anyone who can make parking lot bumpers sound interesting has
learned to be a good writer.

I'll forward a copy of the Writing For Dollars news letter to the list so
that you can see what it's like.  It includes links to subscribe.  Please
don't hit the "unsubscribe" link, because I'll be taken off the list and I
like receiving the news letter.  If you're not interested in the news
letter, please just delete the message; you have my word that I won't send
it a second time.