[nabs-l] professors and disability services

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 21:27:13 UTC 2008

Val Pal!

The DSO requirement is difficult, but the professors are within their
rights to insist that you prove your disability before providing an
accommodation.  The standard policy is that the university's DSO verifies
disability claims and makes a determination of what the university must
provide as an accommodation.

Professors may provide you with anything they want, but the DSO specifies
in that initial letter the kinds of things that, at a minimum, the
university must do.  Sometimes additional things come up, but the DSO tries
to minimize their effort with the boiler plate letter.

The mistake I think a lot of people make is to assume that DSOs exist to
provide accommodations to students.  That's not precisely true--they exist
to provide support to professors in ensuring that the university's
obligations under the law are met.

As a blind person who believes in the principles upon which the Federation
is built, your goal would be to be have the same expectations apply to you
as are applied to anyone else.  Neither higher nor lower are acceptable.
The DSO has the goal of ensuring that the expectations are not higher.
They don't have to worry about lower--but any truly supportive won't let
you slide by with a lower standard.

The thing is, if you and the DSO are working for similar goals, you can
work together to ensure that the professor has the support they need to
hold you to the same standard they hold other students.  You figure out
together what that standard is, and who needs to do what to make it happen.
This changes the dynamic from the same sort of client/provider model you
get with voc rehab services to one of partnership in supporting the
professors.

Some professors have some pretty significant failings, and you seem to have
possibly already begun to discover that.  Viewing DSOs this way doesn't
really change that, but it does limit the effect those failings may have on
you as a student because of blindness.  Of course, a lot of DSOs need some
education as well, but approaching them in this way might just be the start
of that education--it'll throw them, I'm sure.

I wish you success with the rest of the term--you know I don't believe in
luck, and I know you don't need it even if I did.  *smile*

Joseph