[nabs-l] Leaving the Nest-For Dezman

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 01:10:01 UTC 2008

Thanks Dezman. What I tried to say very long abouts was that I thought my
son was only average as compared to his sighted peers and to where I was
then. He has a bit more than me in some things-like understanding of money
and banking, that I wanted all my kids not to have to teach themselves as I
did. The troubling thing to me is that for a blind kid compared to many he
is light years ahead, but compared to his sighted peers about to enter a
university he is only average among them, while individually strong in some
things and weak in others yet. I feel confident he will go off to college
about as ready as any of his sighted classmates going off.

I also tried to say that many people have had to teach themselves things or
seek stronger skills themselves, for Beth especially I wanted her to know
that her rep as a young person she spoke of is not set in concrete, she can
learn better etiquette and has a long future ahead. Indeed she likely has
much more future than past and can make the determination what her
reputation will yet be. Some days I just can't get it out without a long
story-smile.
Thanks for your nice words.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc