[nabs-l] Social Etiquette

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 3 18:12:17 UTC 2008

Beth,

We have something in common wich is comforting.  Even though I was raised
with manners, I had few friends in high school as well.  Students were
acquaintences but not friends.
I did join extra curricular activities like Spanish club but no friends
developed.  The adults were always more friendly and helpful than students.
Beth, I was also in chorus in middle school.  I love singing but am not good
at it.  Can you send me a file with you singing or put it on a website so I
can hear you?

I also did not go to the social things like dances and shop with friends.
That is why I suggested these things and you can do them with friends if you
have them.  They are:
1. Talk with parents and teachers about how to act and manners.
2. Role play some situations.
3. Parents can take their children to such gatherings for practice.  For
instance my father invited me to his holiday work party.  I learned much by
just doing them.  For instance my parents took me to church, fancy
restaurants occassionally, I got invited to a lion's club meeting and saw
how it was conducted like Robert's Rules, and public places.  For instance
although not with friends I went with family including my older siblings to
the mall, restaurants including buffets, movies, church, concerts, and
amusement parks.  I went more places but you get the picture.
So Beth, although we may not have friends I think  parents can foster good
manners and expose their children to many life experiences so they learn in
those settings.

Ashley