[nabs-l] Come to You or Go to It

Nicole B. Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Wed Feb 18 05:13:50 UTC 2009

Okay, having heard a few different stories, I will now tell mine, but I
first want to say that I think that it is sad when parents do not know about
the resources available or how to proceed.

1. a. I went to public school for all of my education. My mother was an
advocate for me from the start. Were she got the resources or to whom she
talked to get the information, I do not know. She was adamant that I would
have an aide in school, which did happen. I am glad that I attended public
school. I do not know if all of the opportunities, such as numerous AP
classes from which to choose, would have been available at a school for the
blind.  Also, I feel that growing up in and around sighted peers helps
develop some of the skills that are critical for getting along in a sighted
world. I do regret not having any blind academic friends near by, though.

2 and 3 are pretty much the same answer as 1. My mobility training started
in--gosh--it seems like pre-school. The mobility instructors always came to
my school district, and the last few years of high school, I had a local
one.  One of the benefits of working in my own tow was that I got to learn
routes that I knew that I would actually use.

As far as cooking and cleaning, I learned part from good old mom (cheers to
the mothers) and part from a blind mentor.  It was always interesting to get
two perspectives on things, the sighted way and the
tactile/audible/smellable way. I did go to a summer program for life
skills/job training once. I also attended a kind of college information
program called DO-IT.

In retrospect, in spite of a few bumps here and there, things went quite
well, and I do not think that I would change much, except for maybe trying
to keep one mobility instructor (that was not my fault or something over
which I or my parents had much control).