[nabs-l] netbook replacing notetakers

Sarah J. Blake sarah at growingstrong.org
Wed Jan 28 14:11:17 UTC 2009

The machine I am using is the Acer Aspire One. The keyboard is only slightly
than the one on my Lenovo Thinkpad S61. There are arrow keys on the lower
righthand side, pgup above left arrow and pgdn above right arrow. Used with
function key (which is 2nd key from bottom left next to ctrl) pgup and pgdn
are home and end respectively. Del is on the top right and ins is next to
it. Esc and F keys are on the top row. Main keyboard is standard. The
touchpad is very small, below spacebar, and can be disabled with fn+F7.
Screen backlight disables with fn+F6. Fn+up and down arrows control the
volume; fn+left and right arrows control screen brightness.

The unit has a card slot, USB port, ethernet, monitor port, and power
connection on left side and mic jack, earphone, two USB, and card slot on
the right side. Internal mic is very good quality for this type of
machine--it is located on the hinge behind the keyboard. Webcam is in the
center top of the lid when open. Speakers are stereo.

Like a number of new laptops, this machine uses the Intel Graphics Mobile
Accelerator. It took some tweaking to make it play nice with JAWS, but it is
doable. I would blame this on Acer, but I had the same problem with Lenovo
and I suspect that FS will need to address compatibility issues with these
configurations. Perhaps it is less of an issue with Vista; but I refuse to
use Vista at this point in time. The Acer machine comes with XP Home. At
first glance, it seems to be a low-power machine: it has 1GB of memory.
However, I am running it fairly hard: often have seven or eight windows open
including Word. There are a few things that can be disabled in order to free
up some memory for your own use. It is running generally as well as my
3GB/3GHZ machine.

I'm protected by SpamBrave
http://www.spambrave.com/