[nabs-l] access to Work Out Equipment

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 13 19:03:59 UTC 2009

Jessica,

Wouldn't it just be easier memorize button locations or  to Braille the machine's buttons, and then either memorize or create a cheatsheet as to what the buttons do?

For example, on my cell phone, I may not be able to read where is says "power", but I know the power button is the topmost button on the left. Also, even if I cant read the cell phone's display screen, I know that if I push menu 3 times that I will then be at my contacts list, then if I push down 4 times my dad's phone number will be highlighted, then I can push send. I don't need to see the screen, or have it talk to me to figure it out.

As to why they don't make talking exersize equipment, the reason it is not made is because it does not make buisness sence to do so. First, there are not enough blind or reading impaired persons to make it profitable and/orworthwhile to make such machines. Additionally, making a talking treadmill is not as easy as simply adding a speaker to the machine. It is quite likely that several parts of the manufacture and assembly plant procees would have to be drasticly changed. This could include expensive propositions such as requiring new equipment, and then having to hire and train new emploees to run the equipment. From the manufactures point of view, it is not worth the hassle of compkletely retooling the engeneering of the machine, and retooling the manufacturing process simply to make a run of 1,000 talking treadmills. You may be willing to pay a little more for a talking treadmill, but given everything I just said, you would not pay a little more for
 for a talking machine, you would pay alot more.

Jim

Message: 11