[nabs-l] Disappointed

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon May 4 23:26:59 UTC 2009

Joe,

I can tell you that the state of the Oregon student division is that
we're tiny and just getting started.  We have a few pockets of
students here and there, mostly around the Portland area, and a few
isolates elsewhere in the state.  Outreach is difficult since we
often do not have support from schools and agencies, so we are
dividing the task up amongst ourselves and going to expect to do some
legwork (and possibly some travel) to compensate.

I know discrimination has been a factor at three of the five public
universities in the state, and I'm not sure that the people at two of
the private universities understand the issues of blindness either.
I've found three of our community colleges to be anywhere from
unprepared to simply unable to serve the needs of blind students.

There is a strong anti-Federation bias in some of the ESDs which
provide itinerant teachers of blind students to Oregon's K-12
schools, and parents of blind children are too often encouraged to
adopt an entitlement mentality along with the usual hierarchy of
sight silliness.

We've got our work cut out for us here in Oregon.  The state NFB
affiliate is not particularly large either for many of the same
reasons.  Getting students involved and keeping them involved is
going to take a lot of creativity.  But we have a good, creative
group of dedicated students on the ORABS board now, so perhaps we
show the "grown-ups" how a few things ought to be done.  *grin*

Joseph