[nabs-l] negative traffic

Sarah J. Blake sarah at growingstrong.org
Tue May 19 11:30:23 UTC 2009

Joseph,

I regularly attend ACB conventions and would take exception to your
assertion that 3/4 of ACB traffic is negative toward anything. That is a
pretty negative statement in itself. I wasn't going to comment on it; bt
this is the kind of un-constructive comment that prevents dialogue. I see a
lot of NFB members emailing with the signature, "We must be the change we
wish to see in the world..." Why not put it into practice...? Then again,
maybe the division doesn't bother you. If you like it, put it in positive
words for us. I disagree with Arielle's points, but I appreciated her
positive spin on the benefits of having two organiations.

In reality, whenever you put thousands of people together, many of whom are
over 55, there will likely be a good deal of negative energy unless there is
a concerted effort to build positive energy. The very nature of dealing with
blindness issues is that some negative energy must be dealt with. Regardless
of how many blindness skills we have, how many gadgets we have to enable us
to do xxx, or how accessible the environment is, things will take longer and
be more cumbersome and we will always battle negative attitudes; and it is a
pain in the behind. Part of what happens at conventions is that people
realize, "Hey, someone gets it." Part of what happens is that someone will
confront someone about the fact that they need to grow up and stop being
such a whiner because we all live this. Part of what happens is that we
wrangle about what on earth to advocate for--and we can't agree because
despite having blindness in common, we all cope just a bit differently. It
does create negative energy, regardless of which organization a person
belongs to. I suspect there is negative energy in every advocacy
organization in existence. In fact, I took a leadership course this spring
in which there were only six participants. We did mock controversies; and
you would be amazed at the negative energy that was generated!

Sarah J. Blake
Personal email: sjblake at growingstrong.org
http://www.growingstrong.org

I'm protected by SpamBrave