[nabs-l] negative traffic

Aziza C daydreamingncolor at gmail.com
Tue May 19 15:28:25 UTC 2009


Sarah,
You've got it. I've seen the comment, negative traffic, negative
energy... but is that to say the NFB doesn't have it ourselves? Lets
just take a look at California... Angela, help me out, our state board
has some pretty steady negative energy flowing through it, and yet
they've pulled togetherright? They may not like each other, may not
think the same, may not even view anything the same, but they can pull
together and work together when itsnecessary, to better our state...
Why not try it on a bigger scale?
Aziza

On 5/19/09, Sarah J. Blake <sarah at growingstrong.org> wrote:
> Joseph,
>
> I regularly attend ACB conventions and would take exception to your
> assertion that 3/4 of ACB traffic is negative toward anything. That is a
> pretty negative statement in itself. I wasn't going to comment on it; bt
> this is the kind of un-constructive comment that prevents dialogue. I see a
> lot of NFB members emailing with the signature, "We must be the change we
> wish to see in the world..." Why not put it into practice...? Then again,
> maybe the division doesn't bother you. If you like it, put it in positive
> words for us. I disagree with Arielle's points, but I appreciated her
> positive spin on the benefits of having two organiations.
>
> In reality, whenever you put thousands of people together, many of whom are
> over 55, there will likely be a good deal of negative energy unless there is
> a concerted effort to build positive energy. The very nature of dealing with
> blindness issues is that some negative energy must be dealt with. Regardless
> of how many blindness skills we have, how many gadgets we have to enable us
> to do xxx, or how accessible the environment is, things will take longer and
> be more cumbersome and we will always battle negative attitudes; and it is a
> pain in the behind. Part of what happens at conventions is that people
> realize, "Hey, someone gets it." Part of what happens is that someone will
> confront someone about the fact that they need to grow up and stop being
> such a whiner because we all live this. Part of what happens is that we
> wrangle about what on earth to advocate for--and we can't agree because
> despite having blindness in common, we all cope just a bit differently. It
> does create negative energy, regardless of which organization a person
> belongs to. I suspect there is negative energy in every advocacy
> organization in existence. In fact, I took a leadership course this spring
> in which there were only six participants. We did mock controversies; and
> you would be amazed at the negative energy that was generated!
>
> Sarah J. Blake
> Personal email: sjblake at growingstrong.org
> http://www.growingstrong.org
>
>
> I'm protected by SpamBrave
> http://www.spambrave.com/
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> nabs-l mailing list
> nabs-l at nfbnet.org
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nabs-l_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
> nabs-l:
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/daydreamingncolor%40gmail.com
>




More information about the nabs-l mailing list