[nabs-l] Ending the NFB/ACB feud

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Fri May 22 10:12:28 UTC 2009

Antonio,

Not a debate per se.  I don't believe there's enough common ground
for such a debate yet.  What I suggest is that one or more
representative from each NFB and ACB contribute to a list of topics
upon which we feel we should speak about our own organization.  Those
topics both NFB and ACB feel are appropriate make the list.  (I'm
pretty open, if I'm representing the Federation..)

Given this list of topics, representatives will provide a brief
statement of what their organization's position is on the issue in
question.  One might be governance structure.  The NFB position would
likely focus on the strength of the cohesive nature of our hierarchy
structure, and the ACB position would likely discuss the value of
term limits and how its more loose associations protect the will of
the minority.

There ought to be some agreement on a word limit or similar for each
such discussion area.  We blind people tend to ramble, and pithy
statements are to the advantage of both organizations if they are to
serve as a comparison point.

The resulting statements as they are could be published somewhere for
people to read and consider on the merits of the positions contained
in them.  Many people ask for an objective comparison of the NFB and
ACB.  I don't think that's possible because anybody who understands
the various issues will have a viewpoint on them.  That viewpoint
would color any comparison.  Instead, I propose to offer two
diverging viewpoints and let people make the comparisons themselves.

A more traditional debate is likely to wind up with representatives
screaming at each other.  I'm not so interested in that.

Joseph