[nabs-l] learning independent living

Adrianne Dempsey adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Mon May 25 15:42:14 UTC 2009

I didn't have training at a training center, I think their wonderful, but
have never been to one except for a week to  complete  an assessment, but
was given know training.To answer your questions; I have been cooking since
I was about ten because I didn't have a chois.  I had to cook for my family
or we didn't eat.  It sounds harsh but I just got throne in to it and it was
either sink or swim.  I also liked to experiment and began developing my own
recepies, some turned out amazing, some failed miserably, but most turned
out pretty good. I actually did more then my sister, because she was lazy.
She is sighted and just as capable as I am.  Their was a chore list for my
sister and I but I was the only one who did what was on the list.  I cleaned
the house, did dishes,swept, mopped, vacuumed, and did yard work.  I never
used a lon mower, but I cleared brush, trimmed hedges, layed brick, and tore
out out door walls.  I think the only thing I would want my pairence to do
differently is perhaps to have shown me how to do things better.  But at the
same time by throwing me at a task and just telling me to do it with out
direction gave me allot of independence.  I believe the centers are grate
but it is like languages, you can take classes and gain a substantial amount
of knowledge about that language, but once you are in the culture speaking
the language with know cheat sheet or text book to refer to you learn it
much quicker.  You learn it when you have to.  If you have the opportunity
to go to a center it will probably be a grate help but also know that you
can do all of that stuff.  It is not really that daunting just take little
steps.