[nabs-l] Mac Accessibility

Rob Lambert rmlambert1987 at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 19:48:57 UTC 2009

Note that I'm NOT (N O T, NOT!) a full time speech user, but I've been a Mac user for several years & have used & heard the speech sometimes & can answer some of your questions. In regards to Firefox, yes it's available, but you MUST! download FireVox (F i r e V o x). The commands are counter-intuitive to VoiceOver (the Mac Screen reader), or at least I thought they were. If you don't have any gripes with it, I'd use either Opera or Safari (apple's built in browser). VoiceOver is built-in to the Mac, 100% ready to go out of the box. VoiceOver is updated with Mac OS updates, since the screen reader is literally built-in to the operating system. For documents going cross-platform, I'd just save my documents in RTF. Also, I use Open Office, but that's not accessible on the Windows side. Mac it's 100% a-okay, I believe, and I use it all the time. It'll save you a few hundred bucks. The speech for VoiceOver is, I believe, "Macintalk" and the default speech
 synth, Alex, blows JAWS out of the water several times over. As far as the learning curve, I've heard it's relatively steep depending on how computer literate you are. That said, some commands actually make more sense than JAWS commands (for example, to close a window you hit Command + W. To close a program you hit Command + Q, etc.)