[nabs-l] FW: ALERT! Sign-On to Letter to Congressional Leadership Concerning Health Reform and Vision Loss]

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat May 30 17:09:28 UTC 2009

Jim Our concern about blindness as a medical condition isn't because
it is un curable I think.  Historically, at least recently, 20 years
or more, virtually the whole blindness community, consumer and
professional has fought for abandonment of the medical model in the
blindness field.  It of course is, in most instances caused by a
medical condition.  However, for most people it is a stable condition
once it has taken place.  I realize for you with RP it is evolving,
but for most, it generally reaches a place where it doesn't change
much.  And, as you say, it isn't correctable in most instances.  So,
for most of us, most of the time, our blindness is not a medical issue.

Further, for someone loosing their vision, eye doctors, opticians
etc., have proven over time to be the worst sources of advice about
blindness.  Their role is to prevent, or cure a condition, and if
someone is going blind, they have lost.  So, most of them see
blindness as defeat, and they say there is noting to be done.

The medical model of treatment just doesn't help us most of the time.

Dave