[nabs-l] some descrimination

alena roberts alena.roberts2282 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 14:49:48 UTC 2009

Wow, that's awful. I'm sorry you experienced that. Here in America we
have this law called the americans with disabilities act and that
means you should never be turned down. When you sign up for
conferences in the future I would let the person running the
conference know that you are blind, and then let them know if you need
any accommodations. If they freak out and tell you that you can't
come, remind them that they have to accommodate you if you're asking
for reasonable accommodations.

When I was starting my year with Americorps I had an interesting
experience. We had a conference to attend at a hotel. Not only had
they put me in my own room, the room was away from everyone else and
it was for people in wheel chairs. So when I arrived I explained that
being off by myself was going to make the experience really
challenging and to please find me a room mate. So they did. They
really should have asked me before I arrived what was going to be the
best way to accommodate me, but they didn't. They also failed to make
sure someone was there at the airport to make sure I got on the bus to
the hotel.

People just need to be educated. I wish you the best in the future.

--
Alena Roberts
Blog: http://www.blindgal.com/