[nabs-l] Disagreeing with mother and others

Domonique Lawless dlawless86 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 15:32:18 UTC 2010

Hello Gerardo and listers,

I think that part of the problem you're facing is cultural. Many
cultures view people with disabilities a lot differently than most of
us do in the U.S. When I was in China for a service project people
would bend over backwards to help me or to try and do things for me.
Part of it was that they were trying to be hospitable and they wanted
me to leave China having had a good experience. They also hadn't seen
many independent blind people and I think they were afraid that I
would hurt myself or something. I would like to think that I left
China having altered some people's perceptions of blind people. I also
have many friends from China and they tell me that whether they are
blind or sighted they are expected to live at home until they are
married.
Your mother also plays a part in your situation. She may be reluctant
to let you do things because you are blind but she may also be over
protective of you because you are her son. I remember talking to my
mother about this. She told me that it is a mother's nature to worry
about her children whether they have disabilities or not. She also
said that because they worry they always have an urge to step in and
take over.   My mom  has been great about my blindness. She has always
had a tendancy to be over protective but she has really worked hard to
step back and let me live my own life. I think it helped that she has
served two tours in Iraq and while she was gone I didn't burn my house
down, get hit by a car, or had something else happen to me.
I like what other people said about trying to find a comprimise. Maybe
you can find a way to show your mom  that you're capable of being
independent and safe. Maybe you can show her some NFB literature and
explain to her that there are blind people all over the US and in
other countries that live normally. I can't think of anything else
without knowing more about your situation. Just remember to keep
communicating and try to stay as calm as possible. If you get really
upset during a conversation she'll be less likely to take you
seriously then if you stayed calm. I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
Domonique