[nabs-l] Blind man sues Wienerschnitzel over run-in with tree

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon Aug 16 00:35:20 UTC 2010

I'm not Ashley, but I can tell you what echolation is.

Just like light, sound bounces off of, or is absorbed by, objects and
then bounces back into our ears. Echolocation takes advantage of this
in the same way sight does. The main difference is that, for the most
part, there is an outside light source apart from the seer. In this
case, the listener generally produces the sound that will bounce off of
objects. Cane taps are usually sufficient. The quality of the sound
tells the listener if it has been absorbed or bounced back and to what
extent. Those who get good at it can even tell the shapes of the
objects they listen to, where they are exactly located, and how far
away they are. A listener can also gain this kind of information by
using outside sound sources and listening to how those sounds bounce
off of the objects they're close to.

The average echolocation user can generally tell where trees and bushes
are, people, large buildings, glass windows and doors, metalic objects
like cars, curbs, and other very noticeable things like that. Some of
us can tell smaller objects such as street poles, planters, and other
things of the sort. Echolocation takes practice. I had to study it in
Louisiana (I studied under Roland Allen, who is quite adept at
echolocation). I would love to study under Dan Kish, the king of
echolocation, however.

Respectfully,
Jedi