[nabs-l] need help

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 19:20:54 UTC 2010

Joe said,
I don't understand why people insist on identifying universities that are
friendly to people with disabilities.  Forgive what may come across as a
blunt tone, but if students are going to make a large time and money
investment in higher education, they should select schools for their
programs, not for the capacity of the disability service.

Marc says,
The question was aimed at identifying ways in which services could be
improved.  This does not imply that anyone would select a university based
on disability services.  I do think, however, that it may factor in to ones
decision in the same way city attractions, transportation, housing, and so
on do.

Joe said,
the bottom line is that if by college a student has not
figured out how to find readers, use scanners or negotiate testing
environments with their professors, they ought to consider training at a
center or dismiss the idea of going to college.

Marc says,
I suppose that sighted students that don't demonstrate these skills should
also forego a college education.

Joe said,
After high school, education is an option, not a right.

Marc says,
True, but receiving the same quality of education that others receive when
paying the same costs is a right.  If colleges design there programs in such
a way that some are disadvantaged or excluded all together, that is an
injustice and should be viewed and treated as such.

I take your point, Joe: the world is not perfect, and receiving assistance
in college can make one less able to cope in the job market where such
assistance is not available.  This may be true, but it doesnt make it any
less of an injustice that should be fought against.  If the above statement
is true, then the solution, to me, is that more should be done to ensure
that the job market is accessible.  I think the incredibly large percentage
of unemployed and underemployed blind people supports this claim.

The bottom line is that, if a product, service, or institution, is
unnecessarily designed in such a way that a segment of the population is
disadvanteged or excluded, this is a problem, and steps should be taken to
eliminate the disadvantage or exclusion.  It's not about babying people, or
giving them special treatment, it is about recognizing that it is wrong for
people in power to set things up in ways that perpetuate their dominance at
the cost of disadvantageing and excluding others.

Regards,

Marc