[nabs-l] Capta

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 04:16:36 UTC 2010

Dear listers,
  Part of me is hesitant to throw my hat in to the captcha ring.
Again.  But here goes.
  I know that I, being totally blind, can solve any captcha either
with webvisum, selona, or the audio captchas out there.  I realize
that doesn't work for everyone, especially the deaf-blind community.
But without screen readers, computers aren't accessible to blind
people.  Does that mean off-the-shelf computers need to have
accessibility built in?  I don't think so, although apple's made the
idea viable.
  I think the same principle applies with captchas.  Were I
deaf-blind, I don't see why I couldn't use webvisum or salona, and get
the same information I do now with jaws and audio captchas.
Especially if I had a braille display.  To me, (and I say this knowing
many disagree and I respect that), that's no different than a blind
person using a screen reader to use an otherwise inaccessible computer
system.  But that's just my take on it, and it's just an opinion.
And, who knows, I might be seeing it all wrong.
  Respectfully,
Kirt