[nabs-l] Lions Club

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 21:25:54 UTC 2010

I think that sitting outside a store and asking for money straight up
is rather rude. There are so many better opportunities for fundraising
that gives everyone something. Here in North Carolina, I've enver seen
a Lion's club sitting outside a store basically begging for handouts.
the fundraisers around here are 1) selling a product, such as candy
bars or T-shirts, 2) selling tickets for a raffle or sale, such as
Belks Charity Days or Applebee's Pancake Breakfast fundraiser, or 3)
going toward a particular purpose, such as assisting someone to get
accessible equipment or repairing the Lion's Clinic, and they use
various fundraisers to do it, including jars at stores (with
information about the project) or cal centers. I personally don't like
the idea of using a call center to raise funds because I hate call
center calls, but it works quite well...when the NFB of NC lost the
help of a call center last year, their funds were hurt severely.

Maybe suggest differnet fundraisers to your local Lion's Clubs? Give
them ideas of beter ways of raising funds. Don't just talk...do! The
only way things will change is if you speak up and lend a hand. Maybe
that Lion's Club doesn't know about the fundraisers that are out
there...point them to things like Belks Charity Days, JcPenney's gift
basket sells, giftwrapping at department stores and malls for
fundraising, selling candy bars and wrapping paper, and all sorts of
things like that. Schools are always doing fundraisers, so maybe ask
your local schools what fundraiser companies they use, and offer that
information to the Lion's Club?

Just some ideas...

--
~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!