[nabs-l] Would love some help or advice from any blind graduatestudents

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:38:20 UTC 2010

Natalie,

I took the GRE in 2007 and can give you some advice.  The accommodations
process was a little taxing but not totally frustrating.  In the way of
accommodations, I got Braille exam, reader/scribe, Perkins Braille writer
and the use of my laptop for the writing section.  I wrote the essays onto a
thumb drive which the Procter then connected to a lab computer and printed.
I had no real difficulties in obtaining these accommodations, and after my
accommodations were approved, I was provided a two-volume test prep in
Braille which I used to get ready.  I read a few discussion forums to learn
more about the nature of the exam, but if I had to break it down into a few
simple tips, they would be these:

1. Start more than 6 months in advance to request your accommodations, just
to ensure everything is set and ready to go on test day.  I think I had to
get some things provided by my doctor and so forth.  Allow for response
time.

2. Prepare for all the sections equally.  Do not presume that because you're
better at verbal than math that you should spend more time on math.  I speak
from experience.

3. From all the materials you get your hands on, develop a study guide that
succinctly jogs your memory in the couple weeks before the exam.  The GRE is
not something you can study for in the sense of memorization, but there are
strategies you can use to loosen your mind to take on the test.

Good luck on the test,

Joe