[nabs-l] Math Textbook

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 17 21:19:01 UTC 2010

Hi Jewel and all,

I agree with Jewel on that.  I do have an embosser, and I am thankful for
it.  DRS in Maryland is wonderful and helped me obtain mine.  This semester,
I got all of my books from the publisher in PDF format, and I copy the file
into Duxbury for brailling because Braille is also my prefered method.  In
addition, I Braille my own handouts.  One of my instructors had approached
the disability guy here and asked about one of the handouts, and he
responded he couldn't do that.  I asked for other books to be brailled or
even just recorded in digital format, and he also said he didn't have the
resources to do that.  So, while asking is okay, it isn't likely a
Disability Office will do it.  While I am mentioning this, keep in mind that
some formatting is required for Braille, and so if possible, obtain the book
prior to the start of the semester.  This did not work out in my own
situation.  Also, Brailling takes time, and it is difficult to study with a
noisy Juliet running.  So this is something else to keep in mind.  Anita