[nabs-l] Can a person's movement be affected by blindness

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 14:01:23 UTC 2010

Hi Jim,

Interesting questions. The only one I can really speak to from experience is
looking like you are enjoying yourself while playing music, though I know a
fair number of blind people who can dance quite well, and I think Mary is
pretty spot on with her comments about facial expressions.

I have been nearly totally blind from the time of my birth. I play guitar. I
used to play in a rock band through high school and college, and I still jam
with friends and play coffee shops and open mics sometimes. I somewhat
recently had a discussion along these lines with a sighted friend of mine
with whom I often play. I have always moved to some degree while playing.
Nothing over the top, but tapping the foot, nodding the head, movement in
the shoulders and/or upper body are all things I just kind of naturally do
when I am feeling what I am playing. It isn't constant, nor is it preplanned
and forced. I asked my friend if he and others did the same thing. I was
pretty sure that most people do, but never having observed it, I was not
completely sure. He told me of course they did. He also explained to me,
which makes perfect sense, that each individual has their own unique way of
expressing their emotions while playing and their own idiosyncratic
movements. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to let the emotion and passion
of the music be communicated through your body. Just do your best to relax,
feel what you are playing, and enjoy yourself. Nobody ever showed me what to
do, it just comes naturally if you let it out.

I realize this may not be all that helpful, but don't over think and analyze
the issue to the point where it detracts from the joy you find in playing.
Also, I'm pretty impressed that you had "perfect licks" after playing the
instrument for only a couple of weeks!

Take care,

Sean