[nabs-l] Need Advice: Access to Visual Materials in Mathematics Textbook

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 30 04:04:12 UTC 2010

I happen to have access to the text I need for an Elementary Algebra course at my local community college. There are, however, some things I've noticed. Thanks to my sources, I have the electronic text, which can do fairly well with the narrative portion, but does a poor job with any tables, charts, graphs, and other visual data. Even if there was an atempt to convert the text to audio with any kind of software, the result would be inconsistent.

I'm sure this is not an uncommon scenario, so I'd be interested in hearing how others of you out there have tried to cope with this problem. Also, does anyone out there know of software that has been, or is being developed, that will address this problem? Also, if you've used low-tech solutions, I'm interested in hearing what you've used and how to get them. Any thoughts? Thanks.