[nabs-l] Obtaining electronic text

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 5 23:23:07 UTC 2011

I know each Disability Office is different, but I try to involve myself
as much as possible in the process.  With PDF documents that are long, I
request they be broken up by chapter, or at least in smaller sections.
I have said I prefer Word documents, and they do what they can, but of
course I can not get everything in Word.

We also look for text available in all formats like RFBD, Book Share and
we contact the publishers directly sometimes.  A lot of times, I
purchase books and the DSO scans them.  Usually they send them by the
chapter.  I either receive emails with attachments for material, or they
use a feature on Blackboard called the X drive where I can download the
material.

I do use NLS and BARD at times, but usually in conjunction with
electronic copies since page numbers are not listed for NLS books.  It
is nice to have a live voice narrating over an electronic one, though I
have grown use to JAWS's drone!

Book Share was an adjustment for me because I use the text files on my
Victor Stream because I have a nerve condition and Braille is not always
the most efficient method.  The text files sound funny at times, but now
that I am use to it, it is actually nice because, like other electronic
versions, I can read line by line, para by para, spell words and other
features similar to how we use computers.  I download Book Share files
on my own at home.  Funny story though.  My DSO thought Book Share was a
software you downloaded, they didn't realize, one, you needed a
membership, and two, it required a device like a Victor and/or Braille
display.  In fact, they thought the software was the Victor Stream.  I
had to explain this to them.

Again, each DSO has their format for gathering and distributing
material, but be aware of how other institutions do things so you can
make suggestions, and do not hesitate to make request; the worse they
can do is say no.  Also, try to be knowledgeable of different options so
you can be helpful with methods that may be unfamiliar to your DSO, or
at least know someone who can provide this information.

Bridgit

Message: 9