[nabs-l] Assignments with copy editing

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 08:20:37 UTC 2011

Ashley,

On the first issue, even if the symbols do not have names, which I suspect
they likely do, you can still give them names. As long as you and your
reader/scribe have an agreed upon set of terms, there should not be an
issue.

I do see the difficulty you refer to about not having the articles to be
edited in Braille. On one hand, it seems a little bit questionable for them
to let you take the articles home, read them and transcribe them before any
of your classmates have ever had a chance to see them, but on the other
hand, I understand that many people do much better at editing with Braille
than using audio. Is there a trusted third party who you and the school
could agree to allow to produce the Braille? Do you have access to a
refreshable Braille display? It might be easier for them to get you an
electronic version than an embossed hard copy. I'll admit, that with a
school that cannot produce Braille, this can be difficult. It can be hard to
balance your needed accommodations with the integrity of the test.

I hope you are able to find a good solution.

Take care,

Sean