[nabs-l] Any thoughts on Washington seminar?

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 18:31:39 UTC 2011

Kirt,

You are correct that there are common core standards that were worked out by
the National Governors Association, but, as far as I know, only 41 states
are currently signed on to that effort. You are certainly right in that this
is the closest thing we have to national standards, but, as you point out,
standards voluntarily agreed upon by the states are something very different
than federally mandated standards. It is hard to make the argument for
standards for blind kids based on that parallel. If anything, I would think
that pointing to the common core standards adopted by the states would lead
lawmakers to suggest that our issue be resolved in a similar fashion rather
than by addressing the issue on the national level.

All the best,

Sean