[nabs-l] proposition for amendment to constitution

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 18 23:51:24 UTC 2011

Hello George,

I admire the boldness you have demonstrated by posting a proposal to amend
the NABS constitution. I believe ideas such as these help keep the
organization fresh and relevant to its membership. And while I agree with
the underlying premise behind your proposal, that everyone would like to
participate in NABS elections should be able to participate in these
elections, I would like to offer the following thoughts for your
consideration.

According to the NABS constitution, a member must pay annual dues in advance
to participate in NABS elections. It also gives authority for NABS to meet
once a year in conjunction with the annual convention of the National
Federation of the Blind. All other meetings take place on the call of the
President or majority of the board of directors to conduct business or
further the cause of the organization.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but in a recent email I believe Arielle
explained that the money that is collected at Washington Seminar is not
considered dues, but rather a registration fee to help pay for the cost of
providing the seminar. I also do not believe there is currently a mechanism
to pay for dues other than in person at national convention. Therefore, I
believe the only way a person can be eligible to vote is to attend national
convention.

Now I understand people may be confused about why we collect money at
Washington Seminar. I am a bit confused about this myself, as I have heard
different things from different people over the years. Perhaps one of the
things the new board could do is to clarify the purpose of registering and
collecting money at Washington Seminar. I believe it should be solely to
help pay for the seminar, and not as a means to collect dues, as it only
seems to complicate the process.

I know that you have mentioned the idea of creating some kind of online
forum for people to register, pay dues, and vote in elections. I am curious
though, how exactly do you plan to create this online platform that is
consistent with the practices of the organization as a whole? I am pleased
that the current board has created a new website for our organization.
However, anyone who has recently visited the website can tell you that it is
currently not up to date. If it is difficult for the board to maintain the
website as it currently exists, then how exactly would they be able to
manage a new online platform for absentee voting?

In addition, I am not quite sure how easy it is to maintain an accurate
database of members as called for in your proposal. In fact, I do not
believe the national office even keeps a database of members who attend
national convention anymore. I believe this to be true because when I
registered for last year’s national convention at the hotel, I only had to
provide them with my name and the state where I was from so they could
create a name tag for me. They did not seem to have any kind of device to
collect this information for their own purposes. So if the national office
no longer keeps records of who attends national convention, then how do you
propose that we keep and maintain such an accurate database of members for
ourselves?

I understand it can sometimes be difficult to attend national convention for
a variety of reasons. I know this to be true because I was not able to
attend national convention even though it was being held in my own back
yard. In short, I was not present to vote for most of the members who
currently serve on the NABS board. However, this has by no means prevented
me from becoming an active member of the National Association of Blind
Students. I choose to be involved with this organization not because I voted
for the members of the board, but rather because I choose to be a member of
this organization. I hope that others would feel the same.

Again, thank you for submitting your proposal. I believe we all want to do
what we can to make this organization open to those who would like to take
part in it.

Elizabeth