[nabs-l] [Nfbnet-members-list] Threw Our Eyes interview, Ride into History, Race for Independence, Wed. June 22, 8:00 pm EDT

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 19:04:02 UTC 2011

I haven’t had extra time an exam since my second year as an undergrad
actually.  It just wasn’t practical, so I had to adapt and adapt
quickly.

And I know more than a couple of Braille readers who exceed 300 words
per minute, which is about as fast as any sighted person is likely to
skim a college textbook and absorb a word of what they’ve read.  They
got that way by drilling themselves in the skill every single day for
literally the better part of a year.  Many of our center students who
enter the program as proficient Braille readers leave as exceptional
readers.

Graphs and charts are a little slower, admittedly, but not hugely
much so once you develop some skimming techniques involving whole
palms.

A lot of this stuff comes down to how much you want it and what
you’re willing to do to get what you want.  I will concede the point
that at least as many students do not work their way through school
as do so.  Those who do usually cut back to 12 credits rather than
the 16-19 the degree programs call for to finish in four years.

When I began at the University of Oregon, I was told that I was nuts
for taking more than 12 credits.  It would be too hard for me to keep
up.  Y'know what I found was that when I took the wussy 12 credits, I
tended to screw around a lot and waste my time.  It’s not really a
boast to say that I’m a pretty bright person—you’ve gotta be to make
it into and through college, I figure.  It seemed like I never had
time for 12 credits when that’s what I took.  Then one term I took 16
because I had to, and suddenly I found that I had time to do my work
because I didn’t have time to screw around anymore.

Now I did that instead of a job.  In some ways, I wish I’d taken a
job instead.  I’m 33 years old and for most any job I’d apply for
today I have all too little relevant work history.  But as I said
before, it really depends how much you want it and what you’re
willing to do to get it.

I’m holding back for the moment on the job front here in the month of
June because none of the jobs I’ve applied for have panned out thus
far, and because I’m going to convention.  If I had an interview last
week and they wanted me to start right away, I couldn’t do it.  I
didn’t have any interviews last week, though, and I’m not angling for
any until I get back from Orlando.  Then I’ll hit the job trail hard
again.

I want it badly enough, and I will make myself an asset to any
company that is offering me a paycheck.  I follow directions, adapt
immediately to feedback, and do not take actually constructive
criticism personally.  I will be there every morning when I am
expected to be there, and I will get the job done.  There are an
awful lot of employers who only wish they could find people fitting
that description, so there are jobs out there to be had if I wind up
in the right place at the right time.

I figure we make our own opportunities.  Being in the right place at
the right time just means being in the right place often enough that
you don’t miss the right time.  *smile*

Joseph