[nabs-l] Security in ourselves, acceptance in others

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat May 28 22:06:28 UTC 2011

Kirt:

I agree with you almost entirely. Now that I've heard your parents' story,
perhaps I understand a bit more why you seem bound and determined to find
fault withus (the NFB). All I can say is that the Federation, as all other
organizations on Mother Earth, are made of human beings (I'm not counting
crows or ants or monkeys or chimps here). As such, we're not perfect. I know
several very fine Federationists whom I would steer new members away from
(no names, please) until  these new members had a bit of leavening in our
philosophy and ways so as to understand where the Federationists I'm
speaking of are coming from. So what? That's life in the fast lane.

I know of persons in my state who were Federationists thirty-odd years ago
and who, because of one or two incidents back then, are suspicious of
everything the Federation does now. It's almost as if everyone expects the
Federation to be perfect and immutable  and when it is not, blames it for
misfortunes that befall them, maintaining that it is the NFB philosophy of
blindness that is to blame rather than all-too-fallible members of homo
sapiens sapiens from whom NFB and every other organization draw their
memberships. Is it any wonder that we who have been elected to the NFB
leadership express some frustration? It often seems to me, at least, that we
are confronted with "heads I win; tails you lose" Such double-binds are
double-plus unfair. "Don't you *dare* try to convince me of the rightness of
your philosophy or I'll call you militant, radical, uncaring, boorish,
unethical, dastardly, thoughtless, unloving and any other pejorative
adjectives I can think of!". I'm sorry but that ain't fair.

To be sure, I don't try to convince died-in-the-wool ACB members that they
are wrong; they have a right to believe as they wish and to express
themselves and to organize to bring pressure on the Powers that Be to get
their ideas implemented. But I don't have to take it lying down if I think
the issue of sufficient importance.

I once read a letter from Dr. Maurer to a now-committed Federationist who
wrote to him expressing great doubt about the efficacy of NFB philosophy and
asked for reading material. Obviously, dr. maurer sent it along with a
letter, part of which said something that might surprise you. He said: "I'd
rather have you join ACB than join nothing. In this country, we make our
voices heard through collective action and by joining either ACB or NFB, you
have a chance to make your voice count.". I agree with this completely.

Does this mean that a non-joiner can't have influence? Certainly not.
However, given the political structure in this country, many voices have
more influence than one voice.

Do I think everyone should join an organization of the blind? I think we
could get a lot done were this so. But it isn't going to happen and to force
the issue would be to negate the very freedoms and dignity that we're
fighting for. However, those who do not join and who then complain I
consider morally bankrupt. In effect, I consider the phrase "silent
majority" to be an oxymoron. By definition, the only people who count
politically are those who speak up. How else is one to know what the "silent
majority" really wants? Both sides in any debate claim that they speak for
it. It is in this sense that we of NFB say we speak for the blind. ACB says
it also. And we're both right.

But bback to the initial intent of this thread. I don't know where all of
you get the idea that we of NFB are continually attacking the ACB. Frankly,
I don't even think about ACB most of the time (a state of affairs which
galls them immensely). ACB can do its thing and as long as it doesn't
adversely impact NFB's goals, it's OK with me. If its actions *do* impact
them, I'll fight them. For the most part, however, we just go our separate
ways.

But to say that we of NFB shouldn't say what we think (assuming that we're
not being petty or cruel) is applying a double-standard of behavior sinceACB
often compares itself favorably to us and no one says a thing.

Finally, let's cut to the chase here. And here I *will* use names. Humberto
Avila asked a question about dating blind versus sighted people. A lively
thread ensued in which Joshua Lester was honest enough to reveal his
frustrations and insecurities. Should we have simply said "yeah; ain't it
awful!" and gone on our way?or should we have challenged his beliefs just a
bit (as we did), causing him to defend his views and, in the process, think
them through at least a bit? We debate damned near everything else on this
list. Why should this thread be exempt? I don't think any of us were
denigrating Joshua. In fact, I venture to say that we were trying to be
encouraging. In effect, we were saying "think out of the box!". Obviously,
being challenged with new ideas can be a bit uncomfortable. But Joshua did
not appear to me to take offense. If he did, we owe him an apology. But was
it better to try to expand his horizons (something his messages practically
begged us to do) or just ignore them. IMO it could go either way.

Mike