[nabs-l] Blindness and other minorities

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 21:10:51 UTC 2011

Julie,

No, the discrimination faced by people of different races and
ethnicities, or gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc., is a
different type of discrimination that what people with disabilities
face. It also stems from different sources- usually this type of
discrimination grows out of hate as well as ignorance and fear of
differences. Disability is feared too, but the general idea, as you
state, is that many believe disabled people require constant assistance,
and disabled people are owed a debt by society because we lack equality.
It's not processed this way, but it stems from the perception that
disability equates to not being capable, less fortunate, inferior.

We can't place discriminatory behavior side by side when it comes to
disability and other issues like race or sexual orientation, but we do
share the fact that ignorance and antiquated perceptions perpetuate
ideas about people who are different. We can't try to make the issues
exactly the same and hold the same measurements, but we can understand
how ignorance cultivates an environment lacking education and
infromation providing people with the concept of true equality.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan