[nabs-l] Grabbing etc.

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 18:01:32 UTC 2011

As a woman it's not just an issue of independence vs. dependence, but
an issue of personal space and bodily integrity. In our culture, a man
touching or grabbing a woman has certain connotations that are
undesirable in most situations especially if the man and woman don't
have a pre-existing relationship. In other words, having a male
stranger, dentist, teacher or acquaintance put his arm around me or
touch me in ways my boyfriend does is not appropriate. Granted, the
personal space issue is still important regardless of gender, but
across gender lines these kinds of violations are especially
egregious.
Arielle