[nabs-l] what do you do if you get lost

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 13 21:26:21 UTC 2011

Hi,
I wanted to respond now that I have a few more minutes.
As I said, usually I try and ask other pedestrians at first. But if I'm
confused and stop to think, they will usually approach me first. If not, I
pick someone out and ask them. I have some vision and try and ask someone
who looks nice; I feel that if they're dressed well, they're probably not on
drugs or homeless.  So if they have a briefcase or dressed for work, that is
good. Or in DC or a town, tourists are approachable, but likely do not know
the answer to your question because they are not from the area.

So I choose D or E if I'm in an area with people to ask.
d: go in to a business and ask someone where you are, or just simply try and
ask someone on the street for directions
e: try to get your bearings together and find your own way.

These two options sound the best. I was taught to ask questions from my
mobility instructors.
As one of them said, "your'e not in a forest. There are people around. So,
don't be afraid to speak up."
I've met many blind people with many different mobility instructors. None of
them suggested calling the cops!
I really hope that idea is not used much because the last thing we need is
cops involved rescuing blind people.
I notice that people ask where you're going. Personally, I do not want to
reveal that. So I ask questions to re-establish orientation. For instance,
what building is over there and point to the right. Or say, What is the next
street? What is the next intersection? or What address am I near?

Since I usually cannot read signs, having someone tell me what is around
helps me get reoriented.

But, I wonder something.
What if you're  traveling in an area with few pedestrians, such as a
neighborhood? What would you do then?
I suppose you could ask someone if they are pulling into their driveway, but
waiting for that could be a while.
I think its wise to have a cell phone with you when your out so you can call
for information or help. Like in my area, you can call a number to see when
the next bus will arrive. We cannot read signs and the bus schedules, so I
find this service helpful.
You could also call other people you know for directions, or to pick you up
if really needed. But, I'd say do not get the cops involved unless you feel
lost, you are in an unsafe place, and/or people are doing things to you that
make you feel unsafe.

Ashley