[nabs-l] Body language and facial expressions

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:09:02 UTC 2011

Marc,

While I agree with you on a philosophical and theoretical level, I think
we need to step outside and consider the world as a living, breathing
thing. Social "norms" have been established for centuries, and society
doesn't seem ready to change anytime. This is not to say we give up, lay
down and die, but we're not speaking about the capabilities of the
blind, or our intellectual capacity; we're talking about physical
movements.

And you keep saying that to correct certain blindisms is forcing them to
assimilate into the sighted world, but it shouldn't be a blind or
sighted issue. It's common for blind kids to exhibit what we refer to as
blindisms, but sighted kids do exhibit these behaviors, and they are
corrected as well. It can't exactly be a forced assimilation, stifling
true natures, of the blind when sighted people do certain things too.
Sighted kids are corrected for this physical behavior, and blind kids
should be as well.

When sighted kids are corrected for rocking or gesticulating
inappropriately or making strange faces, is this forcing them into
something, are we stifling their true nature? You make this black and
white, like it's specific to the blind, and correcting blindisms sends
the message that we're not worthy of equalness, but what does this mean
for sighted kids? What are they being forced into? How does this hold
the blind back when sighted people do it too? Why make it a sighted vs.
blind issue?

Based on your utopian ideals, how do we currently fit into society when
we exhibit physical movements that are not socially acceptable? Do they
benefit us? Do they move us forward? We're not talking about personality
changes but being aware on our body and how we move it. Insisting to put
everything into a category, placing blind against sighted, just
perpetuates the idea that we're different; we're not the same, which
usually leads to inequality.

We can look to the future and attempt change, but we need to be
realistic and live in the real world. Changing our physicality has no
bearing on us as a person; we retain our personality, but we can learn
how to move our body in a socially acceptable way. And we can't pit
blind people against sighted people, claiming that changing how we move
our body forces us into a sighted world when some sighted people exhibit
a lot of similar behavior.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: