[nabs-l] Advanced foreign language advice needed

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 21:51:17 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I agree with Dave. In addition to the "employers won't provide a
notetaker" argument, I would also suggest that the act of taking notes
is a huge learning aid. Taking notes requires actively listening to
the material and writing it down in your own words, which will make
things much easier to remember when you go to study and on tests,
assignments etc. If you let someone else engage with the material to
take notes, you miss out on this learning opportunity and will
probably require more studying later than if you took your own notes.
Besides, do you really want to entrust your personal study materials
to somebody else? What if your assigned notetaker zones out and misses
something that's really important or that you need to study a little
extra?
Unfortunately I think that students are often not taught good
notetaking skills. In my opinion good notetaking is not about writing
down absolutely everything that's spoken or displayed on the board. If
it were, then blind students would be at a serious disadvantage, and
all students would struggle and actually learn little. But good
notetaking is about writing down either the most important points or
the points that you didn't know before, so you will have some extra
help studying these points later. As I've said before, in my
experience, the most important points are the ones the professor
verbalizes. Having a sighted person copy down what's on the board for
you is only marginally helpful, and this benefit is canceled out by
losing the memory reinforcement from writing things down. So go in to
class, write down the major points, definitions of terms, and anything
your professor says that's surprising or entertaining (jokes will help
you remember things too) and don't worry about the rest. The more you
can write down definitions in your own words rather than just
robotically copying down the class notes, the better off you will be
on the exam when the professor will ask you to define a term in your
own words. I think blind students with good notetaking skills often
have an advantage over sighted students who use PowerPoint as a crutch
instead of really processing the information and putting it in terms
that make sense to them.
That said, while I discourage notetakers, I do encourage sharing notes
with classmates or discussing them in study groups. A classmate can
clarify visual things you might have missed, but you can also help
them by filling in gaps in their notes or giving them notes if they
miss class. Discussing concepts with other students is a good way to
clarify and reinforce comprehension. And, if all else fails, please
make use of your professor's office hours. At least at my university,
professors are required to block out two hours a week to be in their
offices waiting for students to come by and ask questions, and
students rarely do. Most university professors also have doctoral
degrees in the subject they teach, meaning they have spent at least
five years of their lives doing in-depth study or research on that
subject. The majority of professors love their subject and are happy
when students want to talk with them about it. Plus, you never know if
a relationship with a professor might turn into a job or other
opportunity. When I was a teaching assistant one semester, only one
student came to my office hours the entire semester. A year later when
my advisor and I were looking to hire a research assistant, her name
was mentioned to me and I was willing to hire her without knowing her
well,in part because I remembered that she was a good student who came
to my office hours.
Arielle