[nabs-l] a question about getting lost

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 02:32:56 UTC 2012

Hello there,

In my opinion, I think this parapro  needs to be fired out of the school and
not help you anymore. This attitude and behavior on his part is so
unacceptable, and you should not accept his madness as is if it were a
lesson for blind skills. I haven't experienced this, but I think a para
being mad and upset with you just because you did something wrong, like
getting accidentally lost but then finding your own ways, even a parent who
gets upset about his blind child being lost but then finding that kid's way
on his own, is not good and not healthy for that kid / student. Everybody
can make mistakes and everybody can make them especially when learning new
things. A blind student is not perfect, however, and he or she should not be
expected to "save" the recording or file where the O&M instructor put the
directions of how to get from point A to point B, and then access them as if
that blind student's brain had a computer embedded in it. We all learn over
time and if we practice the skill we can get better. Yes, practice make
perfect, which I can attest to this myself even while playing the piano or
the violin. But, for god's sake, please ignore your paraeducator as he gets
mad just because he sees you getting lost. He should know that you are well
capable and can find your way on your own if you have the necessary
problem-solving skills. It is like, if my orchestra director watched me play
the violin and picks at me and tells me I shouldn't play the violin anymore
just because I made a boo-boo and played out of tune. With practice,
however, I could perfect that mistake.  Hope this makes sense to you.

Best,
Humberto