[nabs-l] Goodwill Boycott

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 16:26:50 UTC 2012

I was very fortunate to have a good TVI for most of my life, but
when Hurricane Katrina hit, I was forced to leave home and attend
a school for the blind. I was shocked at how horrible it was. On
my first day there, I was taken to a VI class and asked to read a
braille book so that they could evaluate my skills. Within five
minutes, they sent me right back to class. The TVI's there had
nothing new to teach me. I was in a third/fourth-grade class, and
the work was first-grade level. This boils down to we need better
TVI's and more of them.