[nabs-l] Blind people doing community service

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sun May 20 20:03:37 UTC 2012

Hi all,
  I know  I have been pretty quite on the list  as of late, but I
figure I should add my two cents.

 Obviously, any way you  can use your talents and skills to  better  a
community of any sort is  a very good thing and is considered
"community Service".

 This is my personal feeling, but I think it would be great if we
challanged ourselvesa little bit and tried to take our talents and use
them to benifitnot just the blind.
 I am a big fan of non-blindness based community service.
  As enough people probably know I dida ten-month service term  in
AmeriCorps.  I think  I have learned so much from that time, and I
reminded myself that in order to be considered a part of society, I
really should do service work shoulder to shoulder with my sighted
peers.
  I learned so much about myself, the country, and the issues we face
in some places.

 Just some thoughts, and I would be intereste  in hearing yours.
  Take care,
  Darian