[nabs-l] Blind people doing community service

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon May 21 00:33:01 UTC 2012

Darian,
Yes, yes. I think most community service is done with groups of regular
sighted people. If we limit ourselves to doing it with blind friends or a
blindness group like NFB, that is really limiting. Community service is to
serve the community wich usually means the broader community. That said,
I've faced some barriers in getting work so far and I hope its easier for
others looking. A barrier is that there is just so many volunteers now with
people getting laid off or looking for work; like me, they figure volunteer
experience is a means to network and benefit the community while getting
professional experience.
Another barrier I've found is that the coordinators of nonprofits don't call
back as they must be real busy or they don't follow up with you probably
because they know it will say take longer to train you with their database
or something. I was going to volunteer at the library foundation, a
nonprofit supporting the public library and the coordinator said all the
right things and asked me to stuff tote bags for some fundraiser. I did and
enjoyed it. However she did not follow up with me for more office work even
though she said the right things in the interview. If I  want to help at a
school event, I feel marginalized. Sometimes they simply say "oh we got
things under control" even though I know they could use a hand. For
instance, at the fundraiser dinner/auction for the global charity project
club I was in, that is what they said. I helped the club raise money for the
charity, but not much in the event. Of course, I've had positive experiences
too. For example I gave out candy during halloween fest at school; that is
where we had the low income kids come in and trick or treat the dorms. And
then I helped campus ministry stuff backpacks for catrina school children
victims. There are more of course, but seems like it can be frustrating to
find a niche in service work.

Ashley