[nabs-l] Opinions wanted on an event.

John Moore coasterfreak88 at me.com
Mon Oct 1 05:18:24 UTC 2012

Hi all. I know it has been a while since I have posted on this list. On October 25th, my college is hosting an event to raise awareness about people with various disabilities. We are calling it Ability Awareness Day. This is because we want to educate people about what people with disabilities can do, not on what they can't. What I'm looking for is ideas. I'm helping our disability support services office organize the event. We're going to have, among other things, simulations of various things such as a wheelchair ride where the person will have to ride in a wheelchair to a certain point. We are looking for ideas about a blindness simulation. A cane walk would be cool, but we don't have enough people to assist with one. I was thinking a display with various things in Braille and various braille writing devices. Last year, I did that in addition to having an event where people would be blindfolded and would be given headphones. They would have to listen to something and then answer questions about it. THe idea was to show that blind people just used there other senses more and people were impacted by it. I could tell a lot of people got stereotypes about enhanced hearing shattered. What do all of you think would be a good way to educate people about blindness that would also be interactive? Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.