[nabs-l] Extremely frustrated with microbiology class

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 04:44:06 UTC 2012

Hi Jewel,
Is your teacher the one saying what your lab assistant isn't "allowed"
to tell you? Or is your lab assistant making up these rules?
If your teacher is preventing your lab assistant from giving you the
full information that sighted people could get by looking at the cell,
that is discriminatory behavior. I would suggest not only telling your
prof this, but also alerting your disability services office (if you
have one) and the department chair or even a dean about the situation.
The department chair or dean should have the authority to override
what your professor is doing. If your prof won't budge, in addition to
filing complaints, I might suggest dropping the course and taking an
incomplete (rather than failing) and retaking it with a different
professor who does not make discriminatory rules.
The fact is that tactile diagrams won't tell you about colors and
other visual dimensions that you can only get from talking with your
lab assistant or other sighted reader. Also, if you  were a
microbiologist in the field or lab needing to identify  cells, you
would hire readers and you would ask them to tell you as much as they
possibly can. I would agree with not letting your lab assistant tell
you what the cell is called, but short of that, you need to be able to
get as  much information as possible to piece together in your head to
make an accurate identification.
If it's the lab assistant refusing to give you info, find a new lab assistant.
Best, and please keep us posted,
Arielle