[nabs-l] Is providing tutors or aids under the ADA forpublic colleges?

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 06:57:39 UTC 2013

Hi Brandon,

Such is the life of a music major... running into these types of
problems with scheduling and classes getting in the way of each other.
 :)

I agree with Lillie, Arielle, and Minh on their suggestions on looking
things up on bookshare for yourself.  I don't know how far into your
language you are, but at this point looking for anything would help.
If you're just beginning, a basic book would be very good at
explaining everything.  I had to do as Minh described in a level III
Spanish class, and it was much more difficult to find an online
upper-level textbook than a basic one.

I don't know how much time you have left before your finals, but I
would try to meet with that advanced student, or someone who is
majoring in the language specifically, as much as possible between now
and then.  Which, by the way, brings up a fantastic suggestion; have
you looked for an upperclassman with that major who could tutor you on
a mutually convenient schedule?  That might be something to try for
the future.

Unfortunately, I am not sure about the requirements for aids.  At my
university disability resources can set up certain things like lab
assistants and notetakers for you, because they end up getting paid by
the Office of Learning Resources.  However, they will not specifically
set up aids or tutors.  You are free to hire your own readers and
tutors outside of what the university provides as you deem necessary
for your success, but you can't get those through the OLR itself.
But, my university is private, so there is a chance that they do even
what they do because they have the budget to foot the bill.  Have you
thought of paying a notetaker out of pocket and not going through the
university?  Even something like five dollars per week, or some sort
of transaction each class would be an improvement over $45 for the
entire quarterr.  Those kinds of deals might make them more willing to
take notes for you, and you would cut out the disability services
middle men.

Overall, if this professor is not working for you, I would try to find
a class with a different instructor.  See if you can talk to them
beforehand so that they have a perfectly clear understanding of what
you need from them before you even walk into their class.

Kaiti