[nabs-l] Is providing tutors or aids under the ADA forpublic colleges?

Dan Burke dburke at cocenter.org
Mon Dec 9 23:05:05 UTC 2013

Brandon, You're in a tough position with your language class.  I have a friend who teaches French at the university where I used to work, and she talks about the latest theory in teaching second or third language - use visuals on the board or slides without ever speaking English.  This is all well and good for sighted students, but of no use to a blind student when the instructor points to a banana and asks you a question about it.  The accommodation should occur right then and there because the method inherently discriminates against the full participation of a blind student.  Whether that is in the form of someone slating out the Braille for "banana," of the teacher changing the method to ensure that you know what the visual depicts in every instance, or some other variation will depend on the class and level of instruction.

To answer the matter of tutoring, tutoring is not included in the list of auxiliary aides that higher ed should be prepared to provide under Section 504. Here's what the regs say:

(2) Auxiliary aids may include taped texts, interpreters or other effective methods of making orally delivered materials available to students with hearing impairments, readers in libraries for students with visual impairments, classroom equipment adapted for use by students with manual impairments, and other similar services and actions. Recipients need not provide attendants, individually prescribed devices, readers for personal use or study, or other devices or services of a personal nature.

-- http://www2.ed.gov/policy/rights/reg/ocr/edlite-34cfr104.html#S44

Your guess is absolutely right - 504 regs for K-12 and higher ed are not the same, and what may go in K-12 for students with disabilities has absolutely no bearing on what higher ed is required or expected to do.

So, typically tutoring is not provided by Disability Services offices as a reasonable accommodation, even though some may do it.  Tutoring services on campus, however, must be accessible to and usable by students with disabilities; it's just not a modification that is a standard requirement.

Having said that, it can be provided, though it might get into the realm of being apersonal service.

The other possibility, other accommodations notwithstanding, is that VR can pay for it.

So you see, nothing is black or white in this case.

1. Call VR and talk to them about paying for tutoring because of the nature of the class.
2.  Talk to the teacher and the DS office about what would be a reasonable accommodation in a class structured this way.  Remember, it has to be accessible to you.  They need to think harder too.
3.  If you've already tried 2 without success, or you don't find success, investigate your school's due process options; that is a complaint.  One way is to ask - don't threaten - the DS office what your due process options might be.

Best,
Dan

Dan Burke
Academic and Youth Services
Colorado Center for the Blind
Take charge with confidence and self-reliance

www.cocenter.org
facebook.com/coloradocenterfortheblind
@CoCenter4Blind
www.youtube.com/user/cocenterorg