[nabs-l] Downloading and Protected View

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:10:44 UTC 2013

Hi Jewel,

This is a security feature of MS Office 2010, which unfortunately
turned out to be quite annoying for most users. Thankfully there is a
relatively simple solution, although you will have to implement it for
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint separately. Go to the Options tab for each
of the Office programs, arrow down to Trust Center in the Categories
combo box, then tab over to the Trust Center Settings button and press
Enter. You will be presented with another Categories combo box, arrow
down to Protected View, then tab over to find the checkbox labeled
"Enabled Protected View for Files Originating from the Internet" and
uncheck it. While you are at it, you might want to turn off the
"Enable Protected View for Email attachments" feature too since that
also tends to create more problems than it's worth. Hope this helps
and let me know if I need to clarify any part of these instructions!

Best,
Katie