[nabs-l] Downloading and Protected View

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:33:22 UTC 2013

Hi Jewel and Katie,

I didn't know about the process Katie listed earlier, but I may have
an easier solution.  For some reason all my documents I have to open
from Sakai like to pop up in protected mode, so here's what I've been
doing.  I select all, copy, and paste everything in a new document.
It's ridiculously easy, but it works perfectly and takes seconds to
do.  As long as you just have to email or upload a file with the
answers to a web site to turn it in you shouldn't have any problems
with using a different document than the original.  Hope this helps.

On 2/11/13, Katie Wang <bunnykatie6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jewel,
>
> This is a security feature of MS Office 2010, which unfortunately
> turned out to be quite annoying for most users. Thankfully there is a
> relatively simple solution, although you will have to implement it for
> Word, Excel, and PowerPoint separately. Go to the Options tab for each
> of the Office programs, arrow down to Trust Center in the Categories
> combo box, then tab over to the Trust Center Settings button and press
> Enter. You will be presented with another Categories combo box, arrow
> down to Protected View, then tab over to find the checkbox labeled
> "Enabled Protected View for Files Originating from the Internet" and
> uncheck it. While you are at it, you might want to turn off the
> "Enable Protected View for Email attachments" feature too since that
> also tends to create more problems than it's worth. Hope this helps
> and let me know if I need to clarify any part of these instructions!
>
> Best,
> Katie
>

> On 2/11/13, Jewel <herekittykat2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>> I've got an issue that's been going on for awhile. Every time I
>> download a document (powerpoint, excel spreadsheet, word document,
>> etc.), it opens in protected view. In powerpoint and excel, I can
>> click enable editing on my own, but in word, it doesn't let me. Is
>> there a way to change the settings so downloaded files don't come
>> through as in protecgted view? This issue kept me from participating
>> in practice during class today, so definitely a problem, and any help
>> that you can give would be great.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jewel

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/bunnykatie6%40gmail.com