[nabs-l] The Student Slate, Winter 2013

National Association of Blind Students nabs at nabslink.org
Wed Jan 30 02:51:42 UTC 2013

(Please visit http://www.nabslink.org/drupal/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=16&qid=1706 to read this issue in your browser, or download a Microsoft Word copy)

THE STUDENT SLATE
Winter 2013

Edited by Karen Anderson, Cindy Bennett, Candice Chapman and Sean Whalen

Published by
The National Association of Blind Students
Sean Whalen, President

##Contents
* Editor's Introduction
* Experiencing Washington Seminar by Tony Olivero
* Washington Seminar 2013
* Running for Congress by Parnell diggs
* For the Blind, Kindle good for Nothing but Kindling by cindy Bennett and Natalie Shaheen
* Mentoring Toward the Future: Spotlight on the Illinois Association of Blind Students  by Rose Sloan
* Self-Advocacy in Spain: Curiosity, Confidence, and Commitment by Chelsey Duranleau

EDITOR'S NOTE: The beginning of each article is indicated by two hash marks followed by a space (## ). You can use this to search.

## Editor's Introduction

Now that we're crawling out of our candy comas, sadly reacquainting ourselves with those loud boxes that rudely wake us up in the morning, and remembering to date everything 2012, I mean, 2013, we bring you some much needed warmth. So as you sit by the fake candles in your dorm room, be filled with the smooth, meandering words of fellow blind students and NFB members that are almost as sweet as hot coco...almost.

Before the flames engulf your attention, we have a few announcements for you. As many of you know, the 2013 Washington Seminar is fast approaching. It will be held at the Holiday Inn Capitol hotel in Washington D.C. Monday, February 4 through Thursday, February 7. Reservations should have been made through your state affiliate by now, and information about the seminar itself and the issues that we are supporting can be found later in this newsletter. But we want to highlight the NABS events. NABS will hold its annual winter meeting Monday, February 4 from 9:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. please preregister online! It takes 30 seconds, and it will allow you more time to decide between a venti caramel macchiato and a short chai with soy before the
meeting. Visit <http://www.nabslink.org/drupal/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=14&qid=1706> to register. Registration the morning of the meeting will open at 8:00 A.M. We will have tons of great speakers, breakout sessions, a chance for you to meet with your regional rep and with students from your neck of the woods, and everyone's favorite, door prizes! Don't worry, the Slate committee won't be too offended if you put this down to register right now so you won't forget.

After the meeting, run to Quiznos, but don't be too long, because from 2:30 until 4:00, you'll have the chance to meet with representatives from a variety of student-related companies and training centers at our resource fair.

The NABS events will culminate in our famous NABS Cafe Monday night from 8:00 until midnight. Buy your ticket ahead of time from a NABS board member for $5 or, for all of the procrastinators, at the door for $7. You'll be getting a great deal, because many of the NFB's finest musical entertainers will perform live. Last year, our NABS president even graced us with his sultry voice, and some rumors have circulated about him singing again this year. At the door, you'll have the opportunity to vote for who you want to see pied at the end of the night with your extra bills. It will be a hard choice between NABS president Sean Whalen, Executive Director of The Jernigan Institute Mark Riccobono, former president of the Georgia affiliate of the
NFB Anil Lewis, and former Imagination Fund Chair, Executive Director of the National Association of Blind Merchants and member of our Colorado affiliate Kevan Worley. Vote for as many of them as often as you like! There will be a cash bar for your convenience and an amazing auction. Bring your credit cards, forget about your student loans and bid on great items like cosmetics, chocolates, and wine to support the best division for blind students in America! This event is not just for students, so make sure everyone going to Washington Seminar from your affiliate knows!

Now, back to the proverbial fire that accompanies you while you read the articles. Slate committee member Cindy Bennett and education expert Natalie Shaheen will explain to you what the NFB thinks about the fact that you can't read this newsletter on a Kindle. Not to worry though, Chelsey Duranleau's inspiring piece about her study abroad experience will stir the coals and send flames flying. Tony Olivero tells us why he keeps going to Washington Seminar, and the Slate team makes sure you know what to talk about during your short 15 minutes of fame with your congressmen next week. If you can't make Washington Seminar, read on anyway so you can advocate on the home front, which is just as important. But before your trek up the Hill, learn a
thing or two from Parnell Diggs's congressional campaign highlights. Finally, incorporate some new tips for your student division after reading Rose Sloan's update on how Illinois keeps the motivational molecules moving during the Midwest winter that we all shiver from just hearing stories about.

And when you're done, if you haven't already, click that link and register for our winter meeting!

## Experiencing Washington Seminar
*by Tony Olivero*

*From the Editor:* Tony Olivero has been a member of the NFB since 2001. He has worn several hats during his time with the organization, including Chapter president, affiliate board member, IBTC Technology Analyst, and Legislative Coordinator for the Nebraska Affiliate. Here is Tony's recollection of his first Washington Seminar experience and his thoughts on why attending matters:

In February 2002, I was given the opportunity by two of my Federation mentors, Larry and Kathy Sebrenek, to attend the Washington Seminar. Having been a member of the Federation for slightly less than a year at that point, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I had actually been to Washington, D.C. as part of a civic educational program for high school students the year before, and had the opportunity to meet with my Congressman as part of that program. However, that experience was nothing compared to the power that is our annual Washington Seminar.

As in Philadelphia the summer before, stepping into the hotel was almost an overwhelming experience. For the second time, I was surrounded by other people who shared two things in common with me: blindness, and the desire to make a difference for others. The palpable energy in the Great Gathering In as Dr. Maurer, and the NFB Governmental Affairs staff briefed us on that year's Legislative Agenda for Blind Americans, launched us all into an excited frenzy, eager and anxious to take Capitol Hill by storm over the next two days. I think it hit me that night, as I read through the fact sheets, the thought that approximately five hundred of my Federation family were going to be talking to Senators and Congressmen, trying to educate them on what
mattered to us, and hopefully getting them to sign on to our legislation. It seemed an impossible task, and I wondered at least once why I (a college freshman) was there. No one else (at least in the venerable, veteran Wisconsin delegation I was with) seemed daunted in the least. I took strength in that, and decided I'd eventually figure out what I was doing.

We had all of our meetings the following day. It was quite an experience to sit in the offices of men and women who had the ability to change the course of our country with their words and actions, especially when you're told “Okay, it's your turn. You take the next issue.” Sometimes we met with staffers; occasionally we met with the member of Congress themselves. In all cases, they wanted to hear what we had to say. They might not always have agreed, but just being there and having the opportunity to demonstrate to them that blind people were engaged and had a desire to be civically involved was a powerful feeling.

I still go to Washington Seminar every chance I get, and I still experience the same enthusiasm for what we do. Our legislative agenda has changed over the past 11 years: we have secured funding to help develop the first portable reading machine for the blind, we have helped create the National Instructional Materials Center providing textbooks to K-12 students, and we have ensured that silent cars will soon pose no threat to blind pedestrians. This year, we will ensure access to higher education materials and systems, remove the unfair labor practices allowing blind workers to be paid subminimum wages, and gain the right of disabled military veterans to access services their nonmedically retired colleagues have access to. The NFB
Washington Seminar is our chance to make a huge impact on issues affecting the blind of America. Our National Convention is an inspiring and spirit-building event, but Washington Seminar is where work gets done. If you want to make a difference, if you want to change what it means to be blind, if you want to make sure that we are treated equally and have access to the same programs and systems as our sighted peers, Washington Seminar is for you! Yes, there is the annual Winter Student meeting, and many other social gathering opportunities, but nothing will give you a stronger sense of accomplishment than hearing the words, “yes, I will cosponsor your bill” after a meeting you just had with your legislator. I strongly encourage you all
to find the opportunity to attend the Seminar. You won't regret it.

## Washington Seminar 2013

*From the Editor:* It is once again time for the National Federation of the Blind to carry our message of equality and opportunity to Capitol Hill. Our annual Washington Seminar is not only a great opportunity for blind students to help to educate our legislators on issues of importance to the blind, but also an excellent opportunity to learn about our government, se how grass roots advocacy can influence public policy, and take in all that Washington DC has to offer.

This year's festivities will kick off with the annual NABS winter meeting on Monday February 4, 2013, and at 5:00pm, that evening the Great Gathering In will launch the week's legislative efforts. The various state affiliates of the NFB will be heading to the Hill to meet with Members of Congress and their staffers on Tuesday through Thursday, February 5 to 7 to raise awareness and call for legislative action on three issues. The following is a brief summary of each issue about which we will be educating our legislators:

###Increase Access to Education

The first issue on this year's agenda is one we students can play a pivotal role in promoting. We are endeavoring to pass a bill called the Technology, Education and Accessibility in College and Higher Education (TEACH) Act. This bill would direct the Access Board, a small federal entity, to consult steakholders and agree upon a set of access standards for electronic textbooks, e-readers, course management software, and other technology used in higher education. The digitization of education and content can be an extremely positive development for blind students, but only of the makers of technology build accessibility into their products. The ADA, as well as section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, require schools to make education
accessible to all students, and this bill will allow the Department of Justice to promulgate guidelines instructing educational institutions on how to meet their legal obligations to procure technologies that are usable by all of their students. As blind students, we all have stories of inaccessible technologies acting as barriers to our education. It is vital that we share our stories with Congress and educate them about the crucial nature of equal access to education for all!

###Repeal the Fair Labor Standards Act

The second issue will be familiar to many of you; we pushed for the same bill last year. We are attempting to introduce and pass a bill that would make it illegal to pay subminimum wages to blind or otherwise disabled employees. As the law stands, a decades-old provision 14(c) of the Fair labor Standards Act, allows certain employers to obtain certifications to pay people with disabilities at less than the federal minimum wage. It is unfair and must be repealed. Our bill will discontinue the practice of issuing special wage certificates immediately, and will phase out current certificates over three years and protect blind Americans by making clear that we deserve the federal minimum wage and equal protection under the law.

###Allow Disabled Veterans the Same Privileges as their Retired Peers

The final issue relates to the Space Available program, which allows active and retired military to travel for free on military aircraft when there is space available. Because of an inadvertent oversight, disabled veterans who are discharged from service are not eligible for this program. H.R. 164 would expand the program to include veterans who are blinded or otherwise disabled in the service of our country.

To learn more about all of the 2013 legislative initiatives, you can go to <http://www.nabslink.org/drupal/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10&qid=1706> to check out the fact sheets prepared by the NFB governmental affairs team. The issues will also be discussed in detail at the Great Gathering In meeting, being held at 5:00 in the Columbia Room on Monday, February 4.

We look forward to seeing a strong contingent of students in Washington DC to help change what it means to be blind in the United States. Together we can educate Congress, influence public policy, and make meaningful changes in the lives of blind individuals across the country!

## Running for Congress
*by Parnell Diggs*

*From the Editor:* Parnell Diggs is the president of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina as well as a board member of the National Federation of the Blind. Here's what he has to say about his experience running for Congress.

Many people will tell you that filling out Census data is a big fat pain. But every ten years, politicians look forward to scrutinizing Census data to redraw district lines for the United States House of Representatives and state legislatures across the nation. Once the Census is taken, each state is allotted a number of US House seats. It is then up to the states to draw their own federal and state districts.

Each political party wants to create districts favoring its own candidates. The major parties can afford to hire experts, who can break down voter characteristics such as age, ethnicity, and gender to make fairly reliable predictions about how groups of individuals, i.e. those groups that make up potential US House districts as well as state legislative districts, are likely to vote.

Likewise, the same analysis can be performed by individual candidates deciding whether to seek public office in a particular district. I used this analysis before deciding to throw my hat into the ring in the race for South Carolina's newly created Congressional District 7 seat.

After reviewing the demographics of the voters in District 7, and the history of how the precincts in District 7 have voted in recent elections, I concluded that a Democrat would receive at least forty percent of the vote no matter who that candidate might be. If I could win among the independents, or pull in a mere one fifth of the remaining voters, I would have it in the bag.

Some of my friends asked me why I decided to run for Congress rather than the State Legislature or County Council; however, in these smaller districts, with fewer precincts and fewer voters, the analysis remained the same but yielded less favorable results. Ultimately, would a Democrat have a mathematical chance in one of the other races? I did not think so.

Thus, I decided to seek the Nomination to be the Democratic candidate for Congress in the November General Election. Several other Democratic candidates, to my chagrin, eventually crunched the numbers and got the same idea. Nevertheless, after talking with Dr. Maurer, I became the first Democrat to announce in late September, 2011, in front of Myrtle Beach City Hall.

Within a week of announcing my candidacy, I was invited to a barbecue hosted by a local Democratic club, and the campaign (which would ultimately cover over ten thousand miles within the District) began. The several dozen Democrats there on that first Saturday in October were pleased to have a Democrat in the race but apprehensive about a blind candidate.

“Hello, Parnell Diggs: I'm running for Congress. Good to see you”, I said to the folks at the registration table. That was easy. More difficult, however, was figuring out how to work the room and greet everyone there. Structured discovery? Maybe. But when sighted people see an unaccompanied blind person; they don't want an introduction, they want to offer help.

Imagine this scene. “Where are you trying to go...?” “Parnell Diggs how are you? I'm running for Congress.” “You're what?” In the words of Dr. Joanne Wilson, “What a Meet the Blind Month activity”! I also noticed one other thing. Those who were not offering help desperately wanted to get out of my way. But the voters were not the only people who were apprehensive at first.

I found myself somewhat out of my comfort zone because, while talking about blindness comes pretty easily to me, I was there to talk about building the economy from the middle-class out, job creation, protecting Social Security, solving the deficit, and tax rates for the very wealthy.

These subjects became quite comfortable as the campaign progressed; but in October of 2011, I was still transitioning from nonpartisan advocate to partisan candidate. While working the room at that first event, I came to a table with some people eating at it. I put my hand on a gentleman's shoulder, “Parnell Diggs: how are you”? ”I just met you in the food line,” he said good naturedly.

The novelty of a blind person running for Congress drove public interest at first, much like news stories with titles such as (and these examples are totally made up) "Blind Student Goes to College", or “Blind Boy Scout Inspiration to All." These types of stories about blind people can be helpful, but they are mostly heartwarming, special interest stories about people beating the odds.

As a blind person, I was offering to help the sighted improve their quality of life. This was the new novelty in the campaign. By the time we got to the Election, members of the media were not using words like brave and inspiring, nor did the fact that I am blind seem newsworthy at all.

Instead, people were talking about my skills as a debater, my knowledge of domestic and foreign policy, and whether my ideas about creating jobs and preserving the Social Security system were realistic. Blindness had become just a characteristic, nothing more and nothing less.

But let me conclude with one final campaign anecdote. About a week before the Election, I participated in a televised debate featuring the four candidates seeking the nomination. During the debate, I was asked a question and participated in a dialogue that went something like this.

"Mr. Diggs, you have served for twelve years as President of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina. (I pause here to point out that this may have been the first time that the National Federation of the Blind has ever been the subject of a question in a Congressional debate, but the dialogue continued.) If you are elected to Congress, how much time would you spend on blindness issues?" I was delighted to get the question.

My answer went something like this. "I'm proud of my service in the National Federation of the Blind; however, as your Congressman, I will concentrate not just on blindness issues, but on protecting the poor and underprivileged, those who are underrepresented, seniors, the disabled, and anyone else who comes through my door." We didn't win the Election, but we sure made a difference.

Over the years, we have become quite effective at getting blind leaders appointed to positions of authority within the disability field. This trend must continue because we know more about blindness than anyone else, and we need to be in positions where we can affect blindness and disability policy. But we must not allow society to limit our influence. That is why this campaign was so important.

In the National Federation of the Blind, we have an abundance of young leaders who are capable of exceeding the limits of society's expectations. Can a blind person be President of the United States? What about a member of the Cabinet, Social Security Commissioner, or Director of the CIA? Let us not be satisfied with the limitations which society places upon us, or even with those goals that we believe are barely within the realm of possibility. We are limited only by the boundaries of our imagination.

## For the Blind, Kindle good for Nothing but Kindling
*by Cindy Bennett and Natalie shaheen*

*From the Editor:* Cindy Bennett is the secretary of NABS and is a member of the committee that publishes the Student Slate. Furthermore, she is a new Seattleite and was delighted to join the Amazon protest. Here is her summary of the day's events along with a passionate breakdown of the issue by The Jernigan Institute's Natalie Shaheen

This was my first protest. I had no idea what to expect, but I knew that I was excited about the cause. We marched to Amazon's headquarters, a hundred of my federation family and I, in Seattle's Southlake Union neighborhood. Of course it was raining, but that didn't dampen our spirits as a podium was erected and we raised our signs. We circled chanting phrases like “All I want for Christmas is a book to read!” and “same books, same time!” I met people I had known for years and newcomers who were invited to take part. I met some people who weren't even members of the NFB but who supported our cause. I marched and conversed with longtime federation leaders and students of all ages. We were convening in response to the inaccessibility
of Kindles and their promotion in K12 schools. Below is an excerpt from the NFB's web page on the components of the issue.

"Amazon.com is undertaking a massive effort to deploy its Kindle e-readers and Kindle e-books to K-12 schools across the United States. In some cases Kindle devices have been donated directly to schools, including schools that serve children who are blind or have other disabilities. More important, and more disturbing, is the fact that Amazon has also built a system called Whispercast that allows teachers and school administrators to distribute Kindle content to devices other than Kindles. The problem with all of these plans is that neither the Kindle devices nor the book files used in conjunction with them are accessible to students who are blind or who have other print disabilities. Since school districts have an obligation under federal
law to purchase or deploy only accessible technology and content, Amazon must either make Kindle e-books accessible or cease and desist from its efforts to have them used in the classroom."

I marched because I was a privileged child who received braille instruction that kept me above grade level during my K12 education. And because of that I know that being literate is the cornerstone of future success. But I know that many children do not receive their rightful instruction, and putting Kindles and other inaccessible technologies in schools would set back continuing efforts that the NFB makes to level the educational playing field. I marched because even though I was lucky, I still encountered teachers who maintained lower expectations of me despite my success in the classroom. Inaccessible technology that does not promote braille use or spelling grammar instruction will reaffirm lower expectations like too many other things
in our society.

I received the honor of interviewing with three media sources, and I wove this unfortunate reality into my conversations. As I educated, I was invigorated. Passing cars honked their horns; passersby stopped to look and even asked some questions; various leaders in the NFB and blindness-related fields dawned the mic and transmitted their passionate speeches to the surrounding blocks. My favorite of these came from Natalie Shaheen, the Director of Education at The Jernigan Institute. Below is a text copy of her speech.

"I am a teacher and I am frustrated with the way Amazon is deceiving my colleagues regarding the effectiveness of Kindle content in the classroom.

"I have been a teacher for several years now. So, I am familiar with the type of person who enters my profession. Educators are generally good-natured people who love learning and want to share that love with all of the children in their classes. I have not met a single teacher who would knowingly exclude a student from a learning opportunity.

"Today, teachers are accustomed to adapting their instruction to meet the needs of diverse student groups. General educators have come to realize that the adaptations they make to accommodate students with disabilities, actually improve instruction for all of their pupils. As a result, some techniques which began as accommodations have become an integral part of many teachers' instructional methods.

"In today's 21st century classrooms technology is central to instruction. It isn't just being used in the classroom as the new paper and pencil or slate and stylus. Technology is integral to the learning our children engage in daily. The Common Core State Standards specifically reference technology, demonstrating its significance to ensuring students are college and career ready.

"With the increased use of technology in the classroom, accessibility is paramount. Without the features and functionality that make a device accessible, a student with a disability is left out. As is the case with other accommodations made for students with disabilities, the inclusion of accessibility benefits all users of a device. Recognizing the importance of the accessibility of technology used in the classroom, the Department of Education wrote a dear colleague letter and a frequently asked questions document to educate schools on their legal responsibility to use accessible technology in the classroom.

"Unfortunately, many educators, including administrators, remain unfamiliar with the features that make a technology accessible to all students. Manufacturers like Amazon are taking advantage of the ignorance of educators with regards to accessibility and touting their Kindle products as revolutionary tools that will enhance the learning of all students.

"Fellow educators, do not believe the lies Amazon is telling you. Instead, listen to teachers and other professionals who are experts in accessibility. As a teacher of the blind and a special educator, I know accessibility when I see it, and trust me kindle isn't it! Blind students cannot use kindles independently, access text with refreshable Braille, look up words in the dictionary, or complete dozens of other tasks using kindle content.

"Amazon, it's time for you to wise up. My colleagues and I who are knowledgeable about accessibility will work tirelessly to ensure teachers and school administrators in the US are aware of the lack of accessibility in your products. Knowledgeable educators will not buy your products because as I mentioned earlier, educators won't knowingly exclude a student from a learning experience.

"If you want Kindle content in the schools, incorporate full accessibility in all of your products. Then I will happily promote the use of your technology alongside other accessible technologies in the classroom.

"I want my blind students to become successful blind adults, in order for that to happen, they must be Braille literate and technology literate. They cannot develop either type of literacy using your products.

"It's the 21st century Amazon, separate and unequal doesn't cut it!"

To sum up the profound impact the protest had on me personally, I will summarize a quote from an Amazon employee conversing with one of my fellow Seattle chapter members. “this is ridiculous. The newest Kindle was released and we just haven't had time to make it accessible.” This means that we need to keep fighting. There is no reason why accessibility should be a delayed afterthought. And this poor business decision should most certainly not be applied to technology that is meant to instruct students.

Access the NFB's page on Amazon's Kindle at <http://www.nabslink.org/drupal/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=11&qid=1706>, and access the quoted speech and other content on Natalie Shaheen's blog. The URL for this blog post is <http://www.nabslink.org/drupal/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=12&qid=1706>.

## Mentoring Toward the Future:
Spotlight on the Illinois Association of Blind Students
*by Rose Sloan*

*From the Editor:* Rose Sloan is the newly elected president of the Illinois Association of Blind Students. In this article she talks about her hopes and dreams for the Illinois student division, as well as her plans for making them a reality.

The Illinois Association of Blind Students (IABS) has been working hard. The preparation started in July for the State Convention where all of our organizing and planning was put into action. IABS plays a big role in the Illinois affiliate, hosting a fundraising event, a breakfast, a lunch, and a breakout session for teens. As has become tradition, the fundraising event was IABS Idol, a karaoke night. This is, without a doubt, IABS's biggest fundraiser of the year because there are no upfront costs, just profit! Thankfully we have an amazing sound crew who is instrumental in making this event possible. Another fundraiser IABS took on this year, and one that is still going on, is a t-shirt sale. This is a joint fundraiser with the affiliate.
Finally, we had a fifty-fifty raffle at the convention, which always brings in over $100.

Other events at the convention included the Student Lunch and Student Breakfast. During the lunch, Ms. Karen Anderson, who served as our NABS rep, gave a wonderful keynote speech. Additionally, an IABS member shared his internship experience, and the Illinois State Scholarship Class of 2012 introduced themselves. The main highlight of the student breakfast the next morning was that the IABS board members for the 2012-13 term were elected. As it turns out, those elected to office are an enthusiastic group.

IABS started our monthly conference calls just a week after the State Convention. Immediately, the Mentoring Committee and the Membership and Outreach Committee were formed. Since their formation, The Mentoring Committee has started three programs: one in which the members of IABS are going to be paired with mentors within NFBI, a second in which IABS members are going to mentor younger students, a third in which a block of four people will be formed consisting of an IABS member, an active NFB parent, and a new parent/student pair. In order to get these programs going, each IABS board member wrote a short paragraph about him/herself. These paragraphs are very useful for matching IABS members with their NFBI mentors. Additionally, these bios
are useful to future mentees so they can pick the IABS member who has similar interests. So far, two high school students have been matched up with IABS mentors. The NFBI/IABS mentoring program is being developed now, and should be formally in place by March. One of the main goals of this program is to bridge the gap between generations within the Illinois affiliate. The more of a community the Illinois affiliate can be, the stronger and more united we will be.

The Membership and Outreach Committee has also been busy. In December, IABS went on a bowling outing. This was not only a fun event for current IABS members, but we also had a new member attend. This was a great way to introduce him to the NFB. This outing was very fun, and IABS will likely plan another event to take place during spring break.

In the meantime, IABS is looking forward to sending two members to Washington Seminar. We are also considering dedicating a conference call to scholarships, in which many different organizations that award scholarships to blind students can be represented. This way, potential applicants are aware of all the different funds that they can apply for. Although the call will focus on organizations based in Illinois, many of these scholarships are open to applicants nationwide.

It looks as if IABS will be as active as ever in the year to come!

## Self-Advocacy in Spain:
Curiosity, Confidence, and Commitment
*by Chelsey Duranleau*

*From the Editor:* Chelsey Duranleau is a current student at BLIND, Inc. Here is what she has to say about her experiences traveling abroad as well as her advice for anyone who endeavors to do so.

On a cold snowy night in January of 2009, I fastened my seat belt as instructed by the all too familiar fasten seat belt sign. The captain came over the loud speaker announcing in a pleasant English accent that all electronic devices needed to be powered down. After the last few cell phones had chimed and last-minute seat belts had been clicked into place, we slowly pulled back down the runway. "It's really happening,” I thought. "I'm really going to a country that I have wanted to visit since I was in the sixth grade." But it would be more than just a visit as a tourist - I would be living there, living and breathing the Spanish culture and lifestyle for almost four months. As the runway disappeared beneath us, my mind became flooded
with questions: How will I access my textbooks? Will I be able to get worksheets and assignments in the appropriate format? How will I learn to navigate this strange city? What happens if I get lost?

Admittedly, the answers to the first 3 questions were still unclear. However, thanks to a fellow Federationist at the national convention in 2008, I learned the answer to question 4. What if I get lost? He said: “It's ok to get lost and you will get lost; it happens to everyone. The trick is to take a step back, acknowledge that you are lost and that you need help, and then ask for it.” "Of course!" I thought. It really is that simple!" That is self-advocacy. As blind people, we want to be as independent as possible. We want to have the power to make decisions about our lives and about what is best for us. Part of this power is having the confidence to ask for assistance if necessary and being committed to following through in order to
get what we desire or to achieve a goal. Never had these concepts rang more true for me than while studying abroad in Seville Spain. To sum it up in one phrase: It is the perfect city to get literally lost in! Not to mention to test your mobility skills in if you are a cane user. The streets are narrow and seem to flow into one another and there are plenty of parked cars, mopeds, and motorcycles aligning side streets and sometimes even blocking the Spanish equivalent of a "sidewalk." My entire experience in Spain was a test of my self-advocacy skills.

I informed all of my professors and faculty at my school that I would need my textbooks and assignments in Microsoft Word so I could read them independently using JAWS. Since it was a small school and I was the only blind student, my professors and other faculty members were easily able to scan materials into a computer and convert them to word so I could access them. It is much easier for me to read Spanish in Braille so I contacted ONCE, a national organization made up of blind and sighted volunteers to obtain a Braille copy of a novel I needed to read for a Spanish literature class. Before I arrived in Spain I contacted ONCE asking them if they would assist me. After signing some forms and providing copies of my passport and other
necessary documentation to the ONCE office I was shown landmarks that could be used while navigating the central section of the city. If I wanted to go somewhere new, I asked my host family for directions if it was within walking distance and when I got lost I remembered the advice I had received the previous summer. I stopped, calmed down, and asked someone for directions. My curiosity seemed to have no bounds. Almost every time I walked somewhere I would get lost, but that didn't stop me. I was determined to go where I wanted to go and do what I needed and wanted to do. When going into a store, I asked for assistance finding what I needed. The more I spoke up, the more comfortable I became speaking and thinking in Spanish. As my
confidence and commitment to advocating for myself grew, so did my curiosity.

In April during a week off from school I decided to take a trip to Morocco with Discover Sevilla, a local travel agency for tourists that organizes group excursions. I was nervous because at the time I didn't know anyone who was going, but I knew this would be the chance of a lifetime. For six days, we drove across Morocco stopping in Rabat, Fez, and other cities to explore and spend the day. The culmination of this trip was riding camels through the Sahara and sleeping under the stars in an oasis. I was more than a little excited, but one of our tour guides had some reservations about my riding a camel because of my blindness. "Oh we'll just have you ride in the car," he said. "I think that would be easier and safer for you." I laughed to
myself and thought, "Have you ever met me? This girl doesn't limit herself because of society's misconceptions or because another option might be easier.” I insisted that I would be fine and that something could happen to any other member of our group as well. Part of the reason I wanted to come on this trip was to ride a camel through the desert and that was what I planned on doing. Eventually, he gave in and I spent the next two hours getting pelted by sand as our caravans made their way to where we would be spending the night. After arriving at the oasis a bunch of us decided that it would be fun to climb a giant sand dune and do some sand boarding. After all, what else is there to do in the desert? It was a hard climb, but with a
little determination and encouragement from a new friend, eventually, I made it to the top. It felt incredible. At that moment as I looked over the edge, covered in sand and sweat, I realized just how far I had come since leaving the US.

But this was far from the end of my journey abroad; during the 2011 – 2012 school year I returned to Spain to work as an assistant English teacher in an elementary school in Palma de Mallorca. Although working with fully-sighted children seemed to be challenging and frustrating at times, it allowed me to exercise my creativity. I tried to complement and reinforce what they were learning from their classroom teachers with fun and engaging activities such as playing games or incorporating popular songs into their lessons. Not only was I helping children to improve their English, but I was also serving a very different and perhaps more significant purpose: that of a role model and a representative of The National Federation of the Blind, an
organization that has helped me overcome my own negative attitudes and misconceptions surrounding blindness. I would not have had the courage to study abroad or return to Spain two years later if it hadn't been for the valuable encouragement and support I received from my NFB family. The most important lesson I have learned from my involvement with the NFB has been that my blindness is a small part of who I am, just like my eye or hair color; it does not define me or limit my dreams of an independent, happy and fulfilling life. As blind people, we must be our own advocates and work together to break down negative attitudes and assumptions imposed on us by the sighted society in which we live.

Remember, you are the best and most important advocate you have. You know yourself better than anyone else. There will be obstacles as you walk through the narrow streets of life, there will be giant sand dunes and you may fall on your way up, but keep going, keep climbing and you will reach the top.

This message was sent to you by National Association of Blind Students
c/o National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230