[nabs-l] Fwd: [SDS] Call for Participants: Physical Disabilities and Identities of Resistance

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed May 1 23:51:19 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stacey Coffman-Rosen <scoffman at email.fielding.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 10:21:48 -0400
Subject: [SDS] Call for Participants: Physical Disabilities and
Identities of Resistance
To: sds-discuss at lists.disstudies.org

My name is Stacey Coffman-Rosen and I am currently conducting research for
my Ph.D. degree in human development at Fielding Graduate University, Santa
Barbara, CA. Judith Stevens-Long, Ph.D. is supervising my dissertation
study.

I am interested in adult social identity formation and development in
women, specifically women who view disability as a positive aspect of self
despite stigma, oppression, and ableism. This research may impact the
process and understanding of social identity development in the lives of
women with physical disability. Through narrative inquiry (life stories),
disabled women’s voices will be heard in both their complexity and
discursiveness. These voices are not the passive stereotypes of disability,
but an emerging resistance that may potentially revolutionize how women
with disabilities feel about their lives, bodies, and ultimately,
themselves. I hope that the knowledge shared by participants will help
advance knowledge in disability studies and influence mental health
practitioners.

This study will include women between ages 18-50 who (1) have a visible
physical impairment; (2) self identify as disabled; (3) consider disability
an important part of their identity or self concept; and (4) were diagnosed
with a physical impairment by the age of 6.

I am particularly interested in a diverse sample including women who
identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, or questioning (GLBQ) and/or
women who identify as ethnic minorities. Women who meet either or both
criteria are especially encouraged to participate.

Interview questions will be provided in advance and individual participant
communication styles will be accommodated.

Please contact me with any questions or concerns regarding this study or
the protection of privacy.

This is a Fielding Graduate University IRB approved study.

If you are interested in participating in this research and meet the
criteria described above, please contact me directly using the contact
information below:

By email: scoffman at email.fielding.edu

--
Stacey L. Coffman, MA